Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
do you want to pull the dash out or just the cluster? I would remove the whole dash assembly if you havent already, there is not a lot of room to pull the cluster with the dash in place. Once the dash is out you will see all the cluster mounting bolts. Still got that monte in LI or did you ever bring it up to fishkill?

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I agree with Dave. If you haven't done it before, don't attempt to take the cluster out without pulling the dash. Besides the possiblility of breaking some plastic, its just to easy to scratch the lense, and thats a bummer to polish out. You virtually have to take the dash out anyway just to get to the screws as its tough, not impossible, but tough even when youv'e done it before.

Two nuts hold the steering column up to the dash, remove them and the column will lay down on the seat. Even better to remove it entirely. After you remove the dash pad there are 7 bolts that hold the dash in place, other than unplugging the wire harness its not to bad. Biggest suggestion besides boneing up on it with the assembly manual before you start, is take it slow, stay organized, and don't force anything.

Good Luck!

www.Jeffry72.50megs.com

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I believe Car Crafts latest issue has a r&r & detail of a 70 -72 SS dash. If its not in CC its in Musclecar Review

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
"Hey Ya'll watch this...."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The '70 Monte in still on Long Island. We are parting it out there. Car was a ProStock, so had a real strong drivetrain.
Will save some of these parts for the '71 Chevelle SS I have, others will go to my brother's Vette.
Thanks for the info........

·
Gold Founding Member
1,281 Posts
I just removed my cluster without removing the dash. It's tricky but with patience it can be done.

I unbolted the dash on the drivers side top and bottom and above the steering column, and the one bolt on top center above the radio to the left of the glove box. You will have to drop the steering wheel to get to the dash bolt above the column, after I got that bolt out I put the column back in place, just hand tighten the bolts.

By loosening the dash, I was able to pull it forward while I removed the cluster, and yes be careful not scratch the face. I had no problem clearing the face.

The harness is clipped to the back of the cluster, carefully remove the clips.

Unplug the headlight switch and remove it.

Remove the speedometer cable, push the clip in while pulling the cable out. I did this from under neath, pulling the cable from the entrance point into the firewall.

The cluster is held in place by several bolts - I think four or five on the top, easy to get to, one on each side and on the bottom on each side of the steering column.

Once unbolted carefully remove by pulling the dash forward and lifting the cluster out.

As I said - patience.

Hope this helps.

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Member # 442
www.chevelles.com/showroom/richr1

http://www.my70ss.com

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey I just noticed this info on the dash from the Monte Carlo. Can I ask if a 71-72 dash is identical and will fit my '70 Chevelle, and is removed the same way as these replies describe? Thanks for the information!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts