Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Removing evap. canister

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Philip 
#1 ·
I cannot see any use for this thing other than taking space and adding a buch of hoses in the engine compartment that get in the way. What should be done with the vent line from the tank when I get rid the canister?

------------------
JT
71 SS Vortec 355
www.angelfire.com/co/KellyMotorsports

#2 ·
What I did on my son's 71 was to raise (bend) the steel return line up behind the brake booster (or that area if you don't have pb). Then I went to my local Harley Davidson dealer and got an accessory breather for the engine (very small and black) and attached it to the return line with 3/8 hose. A friend showed me this trick. It's great. I eliminated ALL cannister components this way.

------------------

#4 ·
JT Don't throw that thing away. I need it and the bracket for my 71SS Camaro that I have been restoring for 5 years. The bracket is what I have been unable to find. It is one of about 6 items that are still missing.
I'am not working it right now (shop is full of vett) but will get back to you when I do.
Thats if you want to get rid of it
Harley

#5 ·
Cannister keeps gasoline vapor (hydrocarbons which make smog) out of the air when the tank and contents expand and contract due to temperature changes. Cannister is filled with activated charcoal which adsorbs the hydrocarbon molacules. A responsible citizen who cares about clean air would never remove it. IMHO

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

#7 ·
In My Humble Opinion
The canister doesn't rob you of any power, just make sure all the lines are good and they are tight.
Philip

[This message has been edited by 64elcamino (edited 08-20-99).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.