Team Chevelle banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice. I want to remove the duel point distributor from my big block in my 66' and clean and blast the Weind intake manifold.

When removing the distributor, should I mark all the spark plug wires on the cap accordingly, then unbolt the distributor hold down bolt and unwire the small wires? Can I then pull the distributor straight up and remove it? When I pull it out, will it hit the hood when it's fully open? How should I mark the distributor so that it goes back in just as it came out?

I know this is a basic question, but it's been many, many years since I did this and I want my son and I to try and do all the work ourselves (plus I don't want to look like an idiot in front of him :clonk: ).

Thanks, I'll probably have many more questions for all of you.

Tod :beers:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Father/son project, good.

You could take some masking tape, write the plug number on it and just stick it on the wire itself. Pretty easy.

Just unbolt the hold down, remove the ignition wires, remove the rotor cap and pull it out. Should not hit the hood. You could take a digital camers and snap a shot of the rotor position for reference. As long as you dont rotate the engine while it is out, it will drop back in easy into the right spot because of the oil pump alignment.

One piece of advice, take that dual point dist to the curb and invest in a good HEI. They are pretty cheap these days and you will never have to worry about it again. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts