Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THERE IS AN EASY WAY TO GET THE UPPER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS OUT OF THE REAR END

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's tuff. Best way I know of is to get a drill with 1/4" or 3/8" bit and drill away at the rubber between the two shells. Then you can get a chisell and whack the inner shell out then the outer shell. Take your time and STOP SCREAMING...Goodluck

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Use grease on the inner race of the ear. Put the bushings in the freezer over night, and use a neumatic impact on low and slowly drive them in.

------------------
"Details Make the Difference"
Musclecar Restoration and Design

·
Registered
834 Posts
I used a BFH and a square piece of 1/2" thick steel with a piece of pipe welded to it and another piece of steel, to pound them out. Then I used the same to put the new ones in.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
"Our balls are bigger :)"
My Page

·
Registered
348 Posts
It is fairly easy if you use a chisel or punch to crush the side of the bushing inward. The bushing can then be knock out with a 2lb sledge very easily. Install the bushing with the same hammer, lubricate the surface with grease and use a metal plate against the bushing.

------------------
Brian TC#1092, ACES#4374
---------------------------------------------------------
1964 Malibu SS Convertible (Restored Garage Queen)
1965 El Camino (Current project)
1981 Corvette (Daily driver)

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I replaced every suspension bushing front and rear in my 66SS a few years back. I used and air chisel and had all the bushings out in about a half hour with no damage at all. Putting the bushings in the freezer definately works well. I was able to tap the new bushings in with light blows from a brass mallet. Mike, M22

·
Registered
961 Posts
If all else fails just grab the torch.
10 minutes later all the bushings are out. You might want to watch out for the gas tank and fuel lines.

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.