Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found a 70 2dr post chevelle...
I want to remove its bumpers..
How do i do that..
The bumpers are the only good thing on the car.
It was used to be blue.. but now its brown from all the rust on it.
It is filled with rust holes.. it's all eaten up..
But the bumpers still have chrome on them and they look great!
The bumpers shine...

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
421 Posts
call me crazy but did they offer a 2dr post in 1970?

Bumpers are just bolted in, you need to crawl under and check them out.

------------------
Francis Taracido Gold# 201
[email protected]
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.
Oh No! You Know She's Got To Go!
Go Go Quadzilla! <oo=+=oo>

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
The front bumpers are bolted to the frame, two on each side, take the brackets with the bumper.
The rears are a little more tricky; two bolts above the license plate (up) and four inside the trunk (towards the rear)and two up under just ahead of the tail lights (under the car at the corners going up). Unbolt the valance and flex it out of the way.
Use penetrating oil, get the bolts started, oil them and tighten them back up, this will pull oil up into the threaded area. I've gone as far as to drill pin-holes in the trunk to oil the threads from the blind side.
The last thing you want is the hidden bolt to break loose and spin. Then you'll need to break a hole in the boxed area and get a wrench on it.

------------------
Doug, Chevl71
Team Chevelle member #625
Gateway Area Chevelle Club member CM028

chevl71 homepage

·
Registered
44 Posts
man, are you sure you don't wanna try save that coupe?...i'm sure its very rare out your way...if it were me, i'd try to at least keep it and store it...perhaps its not as bad as you think it is...maybe get a second opinion before you junk it...when i was your age, i parted out a car that i felt was beyond repair...now that i know better, i'd have kept it, and thinking back, it really wasn't that bad...just overwhelmed me due to my inexperience at that age...

anyways, i'm one of the guys who have broken the hidden nut off from one of the bolts on the underside of my 72...the thing just started spinning away, and i knew i was in trouble...anyways, what i ended up doing was putting a small grinding wheel on the end of a drill and i ground the entire head off that bolt...took me only 15 minutes, and i didn't have to worry about cutting a hole on the topside of the bracket or anything...just enough room to get a drill up in there...

good luck !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.