Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've got a problem, went to start my '72 Chevelle SS convertible this morning and it squealed like crazy. It appears that the air pump is locked up solid. The only thing I have done lately is wash down the engine compartment. The belt isn't just slipping, it is really locked up.

My question is, what modifications do I need to do to remove the air pump (Other than get a new, shorter alternator belt)? Do I have to make any other changes in the smog equipment(plug hoses, remove stuff, etc?) What effect, if any, on operation would removing the pump have?

This is a completely original stock 350 4-barrel SS engine in a California smog equipped car. (For the people who prefer stock, don't cring. I will be labelling and boxing up everything I remove.) The engine is due for an overhaul soon (new heads, headers, etc, etc), but I wanted to get this problem taken care of so I can drive it before the weekend. Any advice greatfully accepted.

Thanks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Being a california smog control refugee, I would recomend doing the tempoary belt thing for now, get the replacement motor and trans ready and then pull the whole package from fan to driveshaft, set it aside for now. Your car will be much more valueable with all the original equiptment if not on the car at least "all" in one place.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
79 Corvette
Kerrville,Tx.
A Camel is a Horse designed by a commitee

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a thought, replace the belt and leave the pump in place-no lost parts.DONB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, you can't just skip the air pump, the pully is in the way. Put I did remove it last night and just plugged the vacuum line and the two hoses going to the exhaust manifold. Based on the info in the Service Manual, that should be all I need to do. Hope it runs now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.