Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m just wondering what the best way to take out the radio in my 1970 chevelle. (AM only radio, one Front speaker only) Do you have to take off any panels, or just remove out the bottom of dash? You can probably tell I don't work on the car too much... The radio was working and one day the previous owner said it just quit working, it doesn’t turn on.
Thanks A Lot!!
Dylan

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Should just drop out of the back. Take off the knobs. Use a nutdriver (9/16?) or a deep socket to remove the shaft nuts. Backside of the radio there's a support bracket. Unplug the connectors and antenna. Don't think you have A/C because of the single speaker so that ductwork isn't in the way. Not too bad to do.
Sure your dead radio isn't just a bad fuse or dirty clip?

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Use a pair of needle nosed pliers (slightly spread) to remove the factory original anti-theft nuts. You'll see the little slots I'm talking about to turn the round "nut". After carefully doing so, remove the 5/16" ? nut from the right rear side (the passenger side of the radio) and carefully cradle it past all wiring and duct work. Should come right out.

You probably just have an 'open' in your speaker voice coil resulting in a "dead" radio.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do yourself a favor and take off the dash pad. there are about 6-8 screws and it comes right off giving you open access to the radio and the speaker. have the shop vac handy and carefully clean it out in there while your at it. good luck

------------------
'70 El Camino
350/350/350
Pics of my El Camino

1 - 4 of 4 Posts