Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me see - this morning I fill up gas tank - this afternoon, the new sending unit that I've been waiting on arrives...

Is there any gotchas, oh sh*ts, or quick hints/tricks in removing & replacing sending unit? I bought the squeak pads that go on the straps when I pull the tank.

What has to be disconnected that I don't see?

Anything to look to replace while I'm under there? Anything that I can spray on/ coat to make sure that it is quiet when I get done? (there is a lot of noise from the back when I go through a dip or bump - but I can't find anything loose).

Can I do this from the ground, or is a lift needed? I have jack stands, and a floor jack. -

This is gonna be a bonding task for my 18 yr old and myself - what will probably happen is that one or the other of us will have the other in a headlock, pounding away. Since the 18 year old is the weight lifter, I will be use guile and cheating to combat youth and strength...

TIA

>>>Rod<<<

------------------
>>>Rod<<<
A.C.E.S. # 2894
Team Chevelle #115

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Let's see:
1. I prefer to do it on the ground. However it must be jacked up high enough in the rear for the straps to hang down for clearance. This is more critical putting it back in than taking it out.
2. Don't even attempt it with fuel in the tank. The weight and hazards associated with spilling fuel are not worth it (especially with your son attendant). Siphon the gas out by adding a 3-5' section of hose to the fuel pickup. Blow into the hose (preferably with compressed air or even a shop vac), the pressure will cause the fuel tank to siphon. Make sure you have enough storage capacity.
3. Look long and hard at the exhaust pipes. Some 'muffler shop' tailpipes may interfere with lowering the tank.
4. Get a new fuel sock from your local Chevy dealer before you start to replace the old one. As cheap insurance, you may want to get a new fuel tank sender gasket, if you don't already have one.
5. Spray penetrating oil on the long bolts a day in advance and wire brush them clean.
6. There should be a maximum of 2 fuel lines (pre-'71, non-EEC) that will be easy to remove.
7. There will be 2 wires (fuel tank sender and ground). Disconnect the ground from the underside of body (1/4-5/16" head sheet metal screw). In the vicinity of the license plate, there will be a tan (not brown) wire that disconnects the sender).
8. Unbolt and lower away.
9. I got the rubber insulater pads (I think from NPD), they didn't exactly fit the tank straps. I prefer the ones made out of composite material.
10. There is a retainer (open ring with 3 tabs) that holds the sender in the tank. Taking a blunt chisel or screwdriver, tap on each of the 3 tabs in an alternating pattern to unscrew the retainer. For reassembly, I like to put a light coat of vaseline on the rubber gasket - others may disapprove - to seal, lubricate and hold it in place.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Alan F (edited 07-13-99).]

·
Registered
85 Posts
RBK-68elky,

Alan F gave you a PERFECT set of instructions. The only thing I can think of to add would be to watch out for the fill neck when lowering.. it might hang on the rear frame license plate area.

Good luck. YES empty that tank, they're really heavy with just two or three gallons left in them and when it tips to one side a little, the gas goes that way too and it gets REAL heavy on one side

Thanks, Len

------------------
our Website:
netscape.net/thebowtiegang/homepage

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yes empty the tank. A professional mechanic here in Lincoln recently decided to do the exact same thing without draining the tank. Well he spilled some gas on a worklight and burnt his whole shop to the ground. MAt

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm...

Maybe, I should take it to the "pro" in Lincoln. I could use a new car out of it. I'll get pictures of a show car to show his insurance company!

It takes a PRO to **REALLY** Dork things up.

>>>Rod<<<

·
Registered
423 Posts
DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!

(yes, the capitol letters mean that I'm shouting)

Wes.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I wouldn't put that tank back in unless it was in great shape, not fun to do again. Check for any rusty patches or repair plugs etc. Replace the rubber fuel lines while it is off.

Loved the instructions Alan wrote, I had a flashback of replacing my fuel tank. I siphoned mine out and there was still 3 quarts or so left, had to almost shake it out when it was off the car.

Frank

------------------

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wes,

If I disconnect the battery, I'll have to use a match to see if the tank is empty. Actually, I'm kidding - I'll use a BIC lighter.

>>>Rod<<<

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.