Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
received the replacement center ac vent on my 68 chevelle. Now, what I don't know is: how in the heck do I get the old one out. Does it snap in, is it glued.

I don't want to start yanking on it, might break something.

Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
the plastic housing that holds the chrome center vent in place attaches to the dash bezel from the back with two screws. I have not taken one apart but bought a used center vent to put vintage air in my non-air 68. It looks like it could be fairly difficult to do since the housing holding the vent in place is riveted to the distribution duct that takes air from the heater/AC and distributes it to the center and side vents. My service manual shows how it is assembled but doesn't tell how to remove it. I have no way to scan the picture but will send you a copy if you want. I'm guessing that you will have to remove the radio, ash tray and heater controls to gain access to the rear of the center vent.

Good Luck
Steve

·
Registered
347 Posts
I am in the process of pulling out my dash bezel on a 69 and just detached the center vent yesterday. Mine had 4 screws holding it to the bezel itself. Two on top at the center of the vent and one on each side. I got to the top two screws and the one on the passenger side through the glove box opening with a 1/4 inch socket or wrench. The one on the driver side I got to from the gas pedal area reaching up. Still working on the rest of the bezel screws.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts