Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oil pressure drops 10 lbs. from 2,000 to 3,500 rpms. (40 lbs. down to 30 lbs.) It's a 396 in a 70 chevelle.

I plan on installing a new oil pump.

My 1970 chassis service manual say's to raise both the front and back of the motor to get the oil pan out. Is it possible to just raise the front of the motor and not disconnect the transmission to remove the pan.

That answer and any other tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
834 Posts
30psi at 2000rpm is fine. As long as you have 10psi for every 1000rpm your fine.

If you insist on changing the pump, I got my pan off my 350 in my '71 by unbolting the engine mounts and jacking up the front of the engine. You might need to remove the distributor also. I didn't need to do anything with the back of the engine. I was in there because of a broken dipstick though, so I have no advice on getting the oil pump changed although I assume it should be really easy. Locktite the bolts when you put the new pump in, and i'd get a shop to tack weld the pickup tube into the pump.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
'71 Malibu with a home built 454! [email protected]
"Our balls are bigger :)"
CDE Power!

·
Registered
341 Posts
It's a real chore to pull the pan on a big block with the engine still in the car. It MAY be easier to pull the motor to swap the pump. You seem to have enough oil pressure now as Chris pointed out.

------------------
Never be afraid to try something new.
An amatuer built the Ark,
Professionals built the Titanic.
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Rode shotgun in the ONLY Z16 convertible made.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I have pulled the pans on these cars, but as it was said, it is a major chore, and time wise, it's almost quicker to go ahead and pull the engine.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
I did that this past winter on my 396. If you've got a 70 chevelle, you will see in the service manual a completely different write-up on how to replace the pan. I spent a week trying to get the pan off without disconnecting the transmission. Then I disconnected the tranny, lifted the engine up further, and an hour later was tightening down the new pan. It was a BIT*H, let me tell you - but I now think it can't be done without removing the tranny. In fact, I was a heck of a lot easier once I did. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.