Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to re-chrome the dash strip and speedo bezel on my 67 SS. I have heard the only way to do this is to pull the dash. Is this true? If so, any tips as to the best way?

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Take your time is the best tip. When removing the light sockets from the guage cluster, do not be intimidated, they are marked pretty clearly. Put all nuts & bolts into individual ziplock bags & label them. When removing the headlight switch, there is a little button to remove the lever. The ignition switch might take some time, but again be patient. The heater controls are pretty basic just dont lose the clips. You should do fine.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Have been there, its not that bad, just takes some time. You already have some good advice on marking everything because if you are anything like me, even though you think you will remember what goes where when you take it apart, you will probably forget when its time to put back together. When you do have it all apart, make sure you clean gauges etc behind the lens, makes a real difference. Dont know if you have a connection to save you money in rechroming but as far as dash bezels etc, might be just as cheap to go with repro's. Did mine that way and everything fit good and looks just fine.
Dunc

·
Registered
117 Posts
Given the choice between getting your original bezels and ignition strip rechromed or buying aftermarket, I would suggest getting your originals rechromed. The quality is not there on the aftermarket pieces. For example, the aftermarket ignition strips are not painted black in the middle, they have a black sandpaper like substance instead. The bezels are not shaped correctly, are usually undersize a little, sometimes all of the holes are not drilled, have pits and depressions, etc. As you can tell, I don't care for the aftermarket pieces. The good news is that is cheaper to get your pieces rechromed than it is to buy the aftermarket. There are many companies that can do the rechroming, the two that I would recommend are American Plastic Chrome and Don's East Coast Restorations. American Plastic Chrome's number is (734) 721-1967 and Don's number is (516) 226-7982.

------------------
Bob Murray 66 Malibu
Greenfield, Indiana (Indianapolis)
TC Gold #49
Aces #01941
NCOA #20838

[This message has been edited by Bob M (edited 11-10-99).]

·
Registered
122 Posts
How much does rechroming cost for a dash part like this? (ballpark) Someone wrote in to Classic Auto Restorer Magagzine and said he used a spray can of Dupli-Color Chrome and said it came out very good. I'm sure not as good as professional though, but maybe someone has used this with success when on a limited budget? At any rate, about what does it cost for professional rechroming?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ballpark prices for 66-67 dash pieces are:

Ignition Strip $100.00 This is for rechrome and painted.
Speedometer Bezel $40.00
Glove Box Bezel $35.00

Compare these prices with reproduction pieces and you will see that it is a lot cheaper to get the original pieces re-done. Of course, the pieces should be in one piece and not damaged. It is not a problem if they are painted. If your pieces are in good shape, they can usually be swapped with completed units and returned within the week. Having them redo and return your pieces takes from four to eight weeks, depending on their workload.

------------------
Bob Murray 66 Malibu
Greenfield, Indiana (Indianapolis)
TC Gold #49
Aces #01941
NCOA #20838

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Still dont see rechroming that much cheaper then repros if you shop around. As far as quality and fit goes, maybe I was just lucky. One suggestion, if you go to the extent of doing the work required of taking everything out, be prepared to notice that once you do the speedometer bezel, then the radio bezel looks old and the heater lens looks faded and the glove box trim just doesnt look right.Ahh the joys of restoring an old car eh? There is no end to it.Anyway I can vouch for the fact that re-doing the dash area with new lens, bezels, and trim really makes a difference. Should look good for another 32 years.

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.