Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '70 Malibu is in hibernation for the winter in a garage about 30 miles from where I live. I want (really need) to rebuild the original 2bbl carburator. Is it a problem that I won't have the car with me when I take on this task (besides having to drive down to check its operation)after the rebuild???? I'd do the rebuilding at my house.

Also when I do take it off the manifold should I just cover the opening with tape to prevent dust from getting inside?

Also is there a proper loosening order for the nuts holding on the carb or any tricks for making notes on positions of things?
Please help.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Should not be a problem. The carb base is cast iron if I remember right and bolt tightening is not critical. Most linkeage will stay in the relative location if you are careful when removing. When you put it back on everything should be right where it goes. One thing I have done that works pretty slick is to take a video camera and take a couple of minutes of video of the original set up. I completely disassembled a Jeep once and this really worked out well. tom

·
Read Only
589 Posts
No problem. I like the idea of using tape to block off the intake. Rags make a tempting target for mice this time of year!

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,271 Posts
Coppertop,

Read the other thread about 2-bbls titled something like "It's STUCK...." in this section. The syndrome they're discussing is real.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.