Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You didn't get ignored. I don't know the contact rating on those 2 relays to give a correct answer.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
You might try temping in some wiring with an amp meter (jump the existing relay with the meter) to get an idea of the top motor current draw. Most relays have 10A contacts, but it would be nice to know for sure on the one you choose.

------------------
Dave Bradley
www.corvetteforum.net/classics/d1_bradley
'69 SS396 ragtop
'33 3W Coupe
'65 Vette BB Roadster

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I didn't think a car that age had a relay. Isn't it just wired directly through a breaker or thermal switch? Doesn't it work all the time?

A power window relay should be big enough. The top might draw >20A but the windows are big power users too.

Peter

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I ran through my wiring diagram and found that theres no "relay" , but a circuit breaker inline for overloads. The hot runs off of the horn relay terminal to the top switch. I dont have a switch, it was missing along with the switch harnes that connects to the lead that goes to the pump motor. I noticed at a local parts store that they have replacement power window switches that are simular to what I need. So my question now is would one of those work for my application?

·
Registered
859 Posts
I highly recommend a relay. Just about everything on a car today that is over 8 amps is relayed to bring full voltage and high current to the powered device.

There is an automotive relay line available from Newark Electronics (www.newark.com) that will handle 40 amps and even 70 amps. I use the 70s for everything from cooling fans to windows and trunk operator in street rods.

Pulling current thru switches has a big disadvantage of voltage drops and so forth.

Check out this site for a quality relay. http://www.newark.com/product-details/text/CD120/60873.html

and pictures to go with

------------------
Steve Jack
-Concept One Pulleys and Brackets
-Marketing Technologies Limited
-Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" technical column author/originator

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I'd use either a 30A breaker or a fusible link to protect the wire. I tried a 20A breaker and it wouldn't always put the top up.

Yes, get a power window switch and go for it. That gives you the reversing action you need.

Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts