Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if you need the relay switch for the accelator (by pedal) in order for the turbo 400 to kick down into passing gear?
:confused: thanks steel

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ps i only have a cowl hood so i dont know if its necessary to have this switch

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
On my car that switch above the pedal is for the Cowl Induction hood, But I have a 4 Speed. What kind of car, year? On my Malibu the kick down was a separate linkage from the carb.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mines a 70 without a cowl induction only a cowl hood 402 BB. it had a 4 speed but i put a turbo 400 in it. so i bought the kickdown switch for the tranny, which also activates the cowl opener. i'm wonder if i need the relay to kick down tranny or if its for the cowl induction opener? thanks steel

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
you do need the switch for the t400
it is an electric actuated kickdown
without it the tranny won't automatically kickdown

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
The main purpose of a relay is not to over burden smaller wires. If you know what amperage the switch will draw you should be able to wire it direct with adequate wire size.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes the switch by gas pedal i have i'm talking about the one that mounts on firewall for the cowl induction hood. they are tied into one another but if you dont have a cowl induction hood i dont know if you need or not.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
The switch above the accelerator is what you might consider the “trigger”. The lead coming off the switch that has continuity when the pedal is all the way down is what triggers the relay to close sending current to the kick down switch. If the relay is supposed to be used it would be because the switch above the accelerator could not handle the amount of current that it took to actuate the kick down. I can send you a wiring diagram of how to wire-5 pin relay if you think you might want to use it.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
i also have th400 bb but no passing gear. you can still get nos switches from year one.(1242101) also there's a wire harness that goes from the switch out the firewall (# 17565) which i got from www.wiringharness.com. but i don't know where to connect that end of the harness. also my gas pedal doesn't seem to hit the switch when i mash it. nothing looks out of order there. maybe it's not supposed to. well hope the part #s helped and if you figure it out please let me know. thanks

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
GM didn't use a relay on the TH400 kick down circuit. If you have the cowl hood and a TH400 a single switch is used for both. Here's a diagram that shows how the kick down and the cowl hood are wired to the factory kick down switch. This is a pic of the M&H cowl hood harness. You can see the switch connections and the kick down wire connections.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts