Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be reinstalling my front springs after a disc conversion on my 65 chevelle. When I took the springs out, I rented a spring compressor, the kind with the foldable hooks (NOT the strut compressor). I could not fit the threaded rod through the top shock mount as I have seen suggested before. It is just too thick. I ended up renting another compressor and using 2 compressors on the outside of the spring to compress it just enough to take the springs out. But now that I have to put them back in, I don't think this method will work since I could barely fit the compressors on the sides of the spring due to interference with the upper control arm. Also, I can fit the threaded rod in through the bottom shock hole, but the spring coils are so close together there is no way I could maneuver the hooks while inside the spring. So I don't think there would be any way to get the hooks out once the springs are back in place. Can anyone give me a step by step of how to reinstall the front springs? Do I have a compressor that just wont work with a 65? The engine and tranny are out of the car right now.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
Joe

------------------
1965 Chevelle SS

·
Registered
982 Posts
Fortunately for you I change springs a little too often

You can use the threaded rod compressor, and with much patience, you will be able to get the hooks out....trick is to totally remove the rod, and leave the hooks behind.....then just knock them around a little and the will eventually come out...done it with my 67, and yes, it sucks.

The other way, if the springs arent too tall(basically anything under 17") and can be placed inside the control arms without the need of the compressor(if you can push the lower arm down, and they fit in place).....this will be a little difficult since there is no motor in the car, BUT, get your heaviest friend to help you.

I would prefer that you do this one side at time so that you have at least one wheel on the ground, and one side supported by a jack stand.

Place the jack under the cup of the lower control arm, spring in place....heavy friend sitting on the fender, and jack till the ball joint enters the spindle. Replace castle nut. Keep jacking as far as you can get the ball joint in, and then thread castle nut as far as you can. Now tighten it.

Good luck and be careful

------------------
"Put the strength to the test"

**Dave Armstrong**
'67 Chevelle 396/Th400/4.10
12.45 @ 107 mph. 1.74 60ft

'95 Firebird Formula LT1(2FST4LOV)
14.0 @ 97mph daily driver
The Burnout
The Launch
The MAN!!!(the guy in the black shirt)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I just did a front end redo on my 65 (global west control arm w/ disk and springs). I am planning on putting my old springs back in (springs too stiff). I know if your springs are like mine, you have to compress them to before they will go in even with spindel off and the lower control arm all the way down.

I have been considering using a variation of a method I read about here.

I am planning on removing the lower control arm completely and putting the spring in place. I will then use a 1/2" or so all-thread rod to bring the lower control arm up and compress the spring until I can re-attach the lower control arm to the frame and spindle. I will put the all-thread thru the upper and lower shock mount holes.

I don't know how well this will work, but my external compressor will never work. I am also considering an internal compressor thru the lower shock mount, as BBD suggested.

Anyway, let us know what you end up doing and how well it worked. I, for one, will be interested.

Good luck,

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Before I replaced the too tall springs on my 66 sb I had to use an internal compressor to get the ball joint to even get close to the spindle. I put the bottom cross part on the bottom OUTSIDE of the spring seat. this got more compression and only left one top inside cross to remove later.I later changed to 16 inch springs which go on without a compressor. The engine was in the car which helps.

Rebn66_Malibu

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies guys
I think I will try out some of these tricks

------------------
1965 Chevelle SS

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
If any of you do not have a spring compressor, Autozone RENTS them... Get the one that goes INSIDE and then just install the spring. WHen it's in place un-thread the whole assy and then "fish" out the hooks thru the lower shock hole like posted above. Very easy and not much pain. Did this on my '65 and was a simple task to complete... I have to go back in there myself to cut the coils for "cool stance look" and don't forget the "tang" of the spring needs to sit in the pocket up at the top in the frame!

------------------
'65 Maliblue 406SBC/PG TC #811
'94 Camaro 1LE (original owner)
'97 HD Softtail Springer

G

·
just finished doing this on my ragtop with no body or engine on the frame.wasnt easy,but I used an impact wrench to compress the spring,on my 69 I could run the threaded rod approx 1.5" above the spring and still had clearance in the upper A-arm.I connected the spindle to the upper control arm,torqued it to specs. then put a chain over the spindal and run it under the floor jack so when I raised the jack,downforce keep the frame from lifting up.I put a shop towel on the spindal under the chain to keep from scratching the finish. just study how the spring will set in the lower control arm pocket (butt of the coil between the 2 holes) and make sure you dont put the compressor too far down on the spring. once pressure is applied you can "wedge" the arms of the lower compressor between the spring and the a-arm on the inside pocket, and have a heck of a time getting it out.I know,I did it. I had to let pressure off the lower A-arm,let if drop back down far enough so one side of the spring lifted out of the pocket enough to slide it out.not saying what I did was the right way,but it worked for me.

------------------
Michael
T.C. member # 758
ACES member # 4292

project>> 69 malibu convertible in pieces
>>----> love to bowhunt<----<<

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.