Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to run an ATI Super Damper on my built straight six with a stroker crank. ATI wants to tack on an additional $800 engineering fee to custom make one with the proper timing indexes because that application has not specifically been engineered and catalogued. Since I can simply use a small snout SBC style damper off the shelf, is there a practical way or a secret trick to applying a new set of index marks on a damper? Has any one of you gearheads out there modified the timing indexes on a damper and have any tricks you care to share? Should I just pay them the huge engineering fee, send them my damper from Canada to the U.S. and have them custom make one for the benefit of all future hot-rodded straight six builders? (Crickets chirping...) Thanks in advance.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,971 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
All you really need is to know where TDC is. You can locate that with a piston stop. Rotate clockwise and counter clockwise, note the stopped positions and find the middle...Then place your own mark on the balancer. Walla. Free. You can also buy a stick on timing tape, but I'd just locate TDC and use a dial back light. Tape can come off. Then all you need is a timing pointer and a TDC mark.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Can you use the damper as is and just make a custom pointer?
Does the crank gear have to be modified to run a V8 damper?

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The crankshaft snout is the same o.d. as a small block Chevy and I have been told by ATI, Fluidamper and MrHotRod6 at Ravenrood that functionally I can run the small block damper. Just my timing marks would be off.

You guys are great! Thanks for your input :beers:

·
Registered
695 Posts
The summit racing timing tape sticks really really well. i have one on my BBC damper, it has not even thought about coming off yet. There are several listed in the first link Schurkey posted for different size balancers. The numbers are big and easy to read. Clean the damper really good with brake parts cleaner then warm the area that gets the tape with a hairdryer or heat gun but not too hot though.

Summit also has adjustable timing pointers. i just don't know if they adjust enough to make up the difference for TDC from SBC to straight 6.

Mic's idea of the custom pointer would be the best. but if your balancer does not have easy to read marks you would still need the timing tape. which is the case with mine, it only has the mark (groove) for TDC.

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
I put a $7 tape on mine and it's dead on.

·
Registered
18,904 Posts
just get an off the shelf damper and find true TDC with a piston stop.. set your timing with a dial back timing light.

they really want to charge you $800 to put timing marks on a damper? it would take someone about 5 minutes to make the necessary change in the cnc program that they use to mark the damper, and they would have a whole new part number that they could them begin to sell. screw that- just because of that, i think i'd buy a damper from someone else.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Aren't degrees just a radial measurement of rotational movement? Find TDC, aim a zero pointer, and go to timing with the degrees on the balancer. 90 degrees is 90 degrees, as is 6 degrees or 8 degrees, no matter what you swing it with albeit SBC, L-6, BBC. Let it rock......

Steve O.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts