Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am installing a redi sleeve on my harmonic balancer and new crank seal on my small block. I have just installed the new crank seal.

I bought a National brand kit- which included the seal, the redi sleeve and an installation tool.

Reading the instructions, I am supposed to use a "non-hardening sealant" on the inside surface of the sleeve. The kit did not include the sealant.

I have a tube of permatex "ultra grey rigid-torque RTV silicone gasket maker."

Looking on Permatex's website, I think they're suggesting "Permatex #2"

I am not familiar with these products or how they differ. Can I use the ultra grey, or should I get the permatex #2? Or something else?

Thank you for the advice!

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Yes you can use the Ultra Grey. You don't need much because most of it will get wiped off when the speedi sleeve is going on. Ultra Grey is about the best all around silicone seal out there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response.

A follow up question any maybe a problem:

I installed the redisleeve and it went on fine, but I think the installation tool was too short. It didn't go down as far as I thought it should. The end of the sleeve was basically flush with the end of the hub on the balancer. I thought it should go down maybe 1/4" more? The tool bottomed out on the end of the balancer hub and I couldn't push it down more.

I eyeballed several times how far I thought it should go onto the crank, and decided it looked ok compared to where the crank seal is.

The problem is that I fear I can't install the balancer deep enough. I can reach through the balancer and feel that if I press it on the crank more the little lip of the sleeve will begin to push into the crank seal.

Do I need to pull the thing back off and get another sleeve and a tool to get the thing on there farther? Does the balancer always need to be bottomed out on the crank?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Thank you for the response.

A follow up question any maybe a problem:

I installed the redisleeve and it went on fine, but I think the installation tool was too short. It didn't go down as far as I thought it should. The end of the sleeve was basically flush with the end of the hub on the balancer. I thought it should go down maybe 1/4" more? The tool bottomed out on the end of the balancer hub and I couldn't push it down more.

I eyeballed several times how far I thought it should go onto the crank, and decided it looked ok compared to where the crank seal is.

The problem is that I fear I can't install the balancer deep enough. I can reach through the balancer and feel that if I press it on the crank more the little lip of the sleeve will begin to push into the crank seal.

Do I need to pull the thing back off and get another sleeve and a tool to get the thing on there farther? Does the balancer always need to be bottomed out on the crank?

Thank you!
If the sleeve completely hides the groove worn into your balancer, you should be good to go. The sleeves I've used in the past were made by Pioneer and had a shoulder that bottomed out at the end of the hub.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
The sleeve should have come with directions in the box. The part that the tool pushes on is removed after you have the sleeve installed. If it is left on then it will be in the way of the seal. You can get hold of it with a pair of side cutters and peel it off. Look for the instructions.

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
SKF's online install guide states if your install tool is too short, use an appropriate diameter piece of pipe or tubing to drive the sleeve further on the hub (what a crock, why not provide a longer install tool?) Having said that, if your sleeve completely covers the wear groove, and the shoulder isn't in the way, you're probably OK.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sleeve should have come with directions in the box. The part that the tool pushes on is removed after you have the sleeve installed. If it is left on then it will be in the way of the seal. You can get hold of it with a pair of side cutters and peel it off. Look for the instructions.
SKF's online install guide states if your install tool is too short, use an appropriate diameter piece of pipe or tubing to drive the sleeve further on the hub (what a crock, why not provide a longer install tool?) Having said that, if your sleeve completely covers the wear groove, and the shoulder isn't in the way, you're probably OK.
Thank you guys for responding!

I'm gonna remove the balancer again and do two things- First, I was looking for install tools which would be longer- National has another kit (#88176) which looks like it has a longer install tool for like 8 bucks that I should be able to push the thing down farther with. Also, I have a pair of side cutters and can remove the little shoulder on the sleeve. I would just do that, but it definitely should go down another 1/4" or so. I sure don't understand why the tool that comes with the kit I got isn't a bit longer. The kit I purchased originally was National #5000 which included a new seal. Super frustrating when I just need it down a hair farther!

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
When you remove the balancer , look at the line left by the grease on the seal surface ....if its not on the edge of the sleeve, it will be fine ,put it back on as is

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
If the sleeve covers the groove it's good to go.

I use red loctite inside the sleeve.

I don't use any installation tool. I smack it on with a piece of 2x4 and a BFH.

The last one I put on my BB didn't have any shoulder it was just basically a tube. It worked fine, I think it was a fel pro.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

I did end up getting the Nationl #88176 and the installation tool was about 3/8" longer- it was perfect and everything went together great. I didn't need to cut the little shoulder on the sleeve off as it was down basically to where the balancer hub meets the balancer. Now I have an extra sleeve and the tool for "next time." The weather was nice enough that I was able to go for a drive- seems good!

FYI if anyone sees this thread in the future, the combo kit National #5000 has the basically worthless installation tool.

Thank you everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts