Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a set of original buckets ready to reupholster and install into a 70 EC, but I'm seriously considering updating to a newer, reclining bucket like a late model Gran Prix, primarily because I absolutely need a little bit of recline adjustment during long commutes, eventhough in an EC it is limited to just about 3-4 inches, just that little can make the back happy.

To that end, I hate not putting in the originals, so I'm asking if anyone has ever tried modifying the seat back stops with some type of adjustment [modify stop w/ thru bolts that thread in/out w/thumbwheel adjuster- only way I can see it happening] to allow a you to use all the available range of recline angle. I could live with a system that could only be adjusted while your stopped and out of the seat [non-on the fly].
There must be someone else with an EC that must have had the same comfort problem with the stock buckets- I think the Gran Prix buckets are plentiful and at least they're still GM, but whether they're worth the trouble to modify to mount in the cab of an EC [or any A body car] is an unknown to me.
I've looked at the aftermarkets like SCAT, but they don't have the color range and also, the quality of vinyl material seems a little thin.

Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks,
Patrick

·
Registered
443 Posts
Maybe it's possible to just raise the front of the seat base, with a spacer or something, to get it to lean back like you want. Not sure if you could get a comfortable position, and it would obviously be permanently in that position. Whatever you try, keep in mind for safety's sake that seat MUST be secure...to the floor, any latches, whatever. In the event of even a mild collision there's a lot of force, and you don't want anything breaking free.

By the way, I picked up a set of later model seats for my Camaro for the same reason. I'm gonna have an upholstery shop reskin them in white vinyl and Black & White houndstooth cloth in the best approximation of the original style upholstery. Good Luck.

SKIP

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skip,
Yeah, I agree the floor mount points and method are critical; being 6' tall, my legs don't like being bent any more or longer than necessary, so I think the Gran Prix seats are going to be the logical choice for max comfort. My heart was so set on the original buckets that I might reupholster them anyway and set them on wood skids in my den. Damn, I like those seats but, those were the days when people conformed to their cars instead of the other way around. Oh well, thanks for help.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I have 69 Gran Prix seats in my 67. Drivers is power, & passenger reclines. The power seat gives you some tilt back, up & down, back and forth. The power base doesn't just bolt in though. You have to fab up a bracket or buy a bracket from Year One. The recliner bolts in and you could use on the drivers side it if you didn't run a console. I don't think the controls would hit the hump. They take the factory covers!
Roger

1 - 4 of 4 Posts