Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had the taillight bezels on a 1970-72 Elky rechromed? How did you get the reflector out and the bulb holder (not the socket that has two prongs on it and is part of the wiring harness)? I would like to have mine rechromed but I have to find this out first.
Also, what about 68-72 Elky door frame trim (goes around window glass)? I don't think it's rechromable. The trim on mine is foggy; would a buffer take it out? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Shawn
About the door frame trim. Its anodized aluminum and can be polished to like new. The hard part is getting it off without damaging it. If you get it off you must remove the anodizing before trying to polish it.
Several people here have recommended Easy Off Oven Cleaner as an effective remover. Just don't leave it on too long. Another way to remove it is wiith a specialized remover. I used some made by Blue Lightening. I bought it at a swap meet and they do have an 800 number that I have lost, but they are out there.
After the anodizing is removed the trim will polish up very nicely.
Last thing-I was told by one of the suppliers that I use that this trim would be available as a repro sometime this fall.

------------------
Rick (Abilene Texas)
72 El Camino
TPI 350/700r4
Aces #00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #00038

[This message has been edited by rick (edited 09-22-99).]

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rick. In addition to my questions above, what do you use to get the trim off w/out damaging it? What about the drip moulding chrome- how do you remove that?

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Shawn
Like I said the hard part is getting it off without damaging it. Thats why I'm looking for new stuff
. I've heard several times that a bottle opener (the kind we called a church key- hope you're old enuff to know what I'm talkin about) works well to pry off the trim. You need to wrap the end of the opener in tape to prevent gouging the trim. I started on one end and worked slowly along. Had to make 2 or 3 passes to finally get it loose. Worked fine on my drip rail trim but I messed up the window trim pretty badly. Do a search and you should find some more helpful answers.
rick

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Shawn Phone number for Blue Lighting 1-800-501-1562.

I just started using there paint stripper "Blue Lifhting" it's the best.I bought a quart to see what how good it would do. I have used almost all the popular name brands stripping Varnish from old boats.

I'm not Familar with there product to remove plating. If they make it It should be worth trying. "Drain O" & "Oven Off" have many uses.

i have met thes people at the Long Beach SWAP in Vetrans Stadum. It's a p;easur to see some one who reall belives in there product

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Shawn, be careful when getting the bezels rechromed. If I'm not mistaken, they are pot metal and will be damaged or even disolve in the plater's tank. Find out if they are experienced with pot metal and willing to guarantee the work. Remember, the good plating requires much prep work. If the bezels are pitted it will cost you to fix each and every pit. In that case you'd be better off searching for another, possibly one even needing chrome but that's not pitted.
There was a shop busted here a few years back for environmentally unsound practices. Since then I've seen chroming jump in price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.