Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking apart my tilt column, and I was doing fine until I got to the removal of the outer (key) housing. Not sure what it is called. There are 3 screws that I removed, and it moves like it is coming off, but then it catches on something. I removed the key cylinder, but do I have to turn the internal switch a certain way to remove that outer casing. I know someone will know what I am talking about. I can't be too specific because I really do not know what to call everything? Anyway, I removed the cancel cam and the spring and outer bearing, but I cannot do anything from there. I can't see what it is catching on either and I stared at the thing for a good 1/2 hour and wiggled it every which way possible.

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
Have you removed the tilt lever?? It could be that something has come loose and is jammed down in there somewhere. At the point your at it should slide right off. This is the simple stage, pay close attention to how everything fits and is aligned as you get deeper into it.
One tip, on the early columns you have to remove a piece of flashing to depress the release on the key lock, it is about a 1/4" back towards the key from the end of the lock, if you remove part of the exposed slot that aligns and holds the lock you will not be able to put the lock in the accessory position and will have to replace the housing as it is not repairable.
Repairing tilt columns are money makers, you can average a dollar a minute using the flat rate hours and a $35/hour rate, you get to work while sitting in a comfy seat and listening to the stereo, of course my friends don't ever pay me and I don't let my customers watch.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Lakeside, AZ
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.