Team Chevelle banner

241 - 260 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Figures doesn't it...always at least one head-scratcher in any project (sometimes they come in multiples...I know!). The main thing is that you figured it out and then did what you had to to fix it. Nice work, Tom, as usual. Man that thing is getting real close now and looks super!

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Tom,
Ive got a similar issue with my 67. Lee boxand Pro Forge pitman, tie rods, tie rod adjusters, and center link. With the box input shaft centered ( factory reference marks in line) both wheels face slightly left. Both the pitman and idler arm and parallel to the frame. I have to turn the input shaft to the right (less than a quarter turn) to get both wheels to track straight. It bugs the snot out of me but I’m no where close to driving so I put the issue on the back burner. I know I’ll have to face it sooner than later. I’ll start with a call to Lee.

Joe

·
Premium Member
16,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
Also received and installed the driveshaft from Dynotech Driveshafts in Michigan today. Aluminum 3.5” diameter and an overall 10 lbs less rotating mass over steel and good up to 1000 HP or 7500 RPM. 1350 Spicer U joints also used. The driveshaft loop is from USC Motorsports through Mancini Racing.

·
Premium Member
16,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
More good stuff. What's the plan on the cb antenna at the risk of it already been addressed??
I can get a correct era one for the car which is expensive. I’m trying to come up with a way to protect the paint before I drop money on it. I had a magnetic mount one on it before and it scuffed the crap out of the paint. Which I don’t want to happen this time.

·
Premium Member
16,750 Posts
I'm with Lew. I dig the loop. Makes my homebrew one look " hoopty" . And here I thought it was well fabbed.

Friggin AACA level stuff there young man! Its a BEAUTY!

OMG I can hear my uncle Don shouting from heaven ( I think!)..... LITE 'EM UP!

Don had a 69 383 4 gear sure grip Bee. Most memorable ride of my young life, away from the funeral home where my dad's corpse laid. SMOKIN' EM! :cool:

Why I LOVE those cars. LOVE.

That may end up being the best General Lee in the world! Don said so! :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,109 Posts
Tom, I stumbled across some information about the Dukes of Hazzard cars while researching another topic. You may already be aware, but a race car chassis & fabrication outfit near Atlanta called Baird & Trivette used to do the Dukes builds, or at least they did according to this link;

Baird & Trivette Monza (scharch.org)

From the link:

"On another note, Baird & Trivette also built the General Lee cars for the TV series The Dukes of Hazzard. There were about a dozen General Lee's, all identically prepared by Baird & Trivette. It is said; the stunt drivers punished the TV cars more in one episode than a NASCAR team would in an entire season. The race shop had a surface plate (for squaring up chassis) reserved and set to General Lee specifications, for the 1968 and 1969 model-year Chargers that were sourced and converted. Three or four Chargers would arrive on a hauler. They would get stripped down, straighten, repainted and put back on the trailer, knowing full well the cars would soon return to repeat the process."

"Trivette now resides in the Ft. Myers, Florida area where his race car chassis manufacturing plant is located. The business produces mainly for Late Model drivers and for GT (grand touring) drivers."

I'm a big fan of local stock car racing as it used to exist in the South in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. I was aware of Baird & Trivette as regards their stock car chassis builds and crash repair, but never knew they built some of the Dukes cars until I saw this link last night. Apparently, as stock car racing started to fade in popularity, Baird & Trivette pivoted to building chassis for road racing.

Anyway, maybe you already knew about this, but I found it pretty interesting.

Reactions: 427L88

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Tom,
real sweet d/s loop!

Aluminum d/s, awesome! I need to figure out my rotating limits on my build and make a decision on what size and material I can run. I’ve been contemplating aluminum, so your post is very much appreciated.

Joe

·
Premium Member
16,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
Not a whole lot to update the last few weeks. I have a few issues I need to deal with like a coolant leak I can’t find and the rear window needs to come back out because the trim won’t go on. Waiting for my seat belts still. And the exhaust is on backorder for another month. I did managed to put the small decals and fender tag back on though.

·
Premium Member
16,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Found the coolant leak I’ve been chasing for weeks. Middle freeze plug. Thankfully the engine doesn’t have to come out if I need to change it. Keeping fingers crossed it will seal itself after a few heat cycles.

Also the 3” TTI exhaust finally came in. Had to order longer mufflers to work with the system so once they come in the exhaust can go on.

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy Chevelle
1,127 Posts
Tom that car looks great. Great progress pics. One of a kind. Great combination of stock and performance parts. Details make the difference.

241 - 260 of 265 Posts