Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think most people are doing with chevelle these days?

I have seen alot of threads here lately talking about period correct. Such as matching numbers and stuff. Who has the ability to do those and who are doing those.

To me, I would never be interested in doing those.

Im more about customization and doing what I want done to my car. Of course as long as it is a old school theme or period correct kind of builds.

Never a fan of big wheels and LS stuff in a chevelle though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't know and I don't really care, what chevelle owners are doing. I just like my car to be reliable, take me there and bring me home on my own power, not on a trailer. Do your thing don't be concerned with others are doing. I think you will like your own creation better.

·
Registered
1969 Grand Prix. 455 TH400 12 bolt.
115 Posts
Keeping and barely driving, based on observation.

Ignore trends, Chevelles aren't hairstyles.

·
Super Moderator
4,751 Posts
I am into original looking and correct or number matching classic cars. If you want a retro buy a GT500 or equivalent new car like I had. Not into retro and certainly not into big rims. Stock looking Chevelle with modern power is ok too. Just like the original look.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts

I have seen alot of threads here lately talking about period correct. Such as matching numbers and stuff. Who has the ability to do those and who are doing those.

Im more about customization and doing what I want done to my car. Of course as long as it is a old school theme or period correct kind of builds.

I thought you were doing a LS build a couple years ago....or at least inquiring about it. Did you move forward with the build?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
for me.i bought my 66 in 1979 still numbers matching engine and rear end.swapped in a th400 back in the mid 80's,so for me it will stay that way.but if i bought a roller i would maybe go an ls or i could really get wild and put my 348 in.

·
Premium Member
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought you were doing a LS build a couple years ago....or at least inquiring about it. Did you move forward with the build?
No. Not in a chevelle.

Do have some LS stuff for a 03 Silverado.

I dont really mix and match technologies.

·
Premium Member
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keep the replies coming.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
No. Not in a chevelle.

Do have some LS stuff for a 03 Silverado.

I dont really mix and match technologies.
I thought you were asking about a 5.3 in a Chevelle or something. I remember something like that because it had replies with 1/4 mile times and I have a LS so it was interesting.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
If you have numbers matching you are lucky...I don't so I am not concerned about it...Those who do, I get it...
Now if I didn't like the original look then I am not sure I would have done a Chevelle...maybe something easier to get parts for and restomod it...
Not sure what it would have been. taste's change and even the thought of doing a different car after waiting 38 years to do mine is mind boggling...Now once it's done and I drive it...I hope I like it...It's been a long time and we have been spoiled driving new tech cars and then driving a 54 year old car....handling, comfort? I may want to change some things to make those things better....Does it change the look ...No Does it make it more drivable and enjoyable Probably...I'll let you all know when she hits the road and I get my ass in the seat for a few hours!

·
Premium Member
3,969 Posts

Don't know about "most people". Son and I are building a 65 Chevelle Convertible with the parts we have from years of swap meets. It was an absolute rust bucket, no floors, etc. Not a viable project if you have to pay someone else to the paint and body work. It is coming along, have SB 400, Muncie, 12 bolt.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Everyone has different tastes. I will spend more time looking at an original, less-than-perfect car than a tricked out custom car. It's pretty easy to buy brand new, fancy stuff to dress up you car, but try finding usable, original parts that are still in good shape. I guess for some it is the thrill of the chase, and others just like to have a great looking car. Researching which parts and what finishes they had always lured me in, too. The Internet has made that job MUCH easier.

·
Registered
219 Posts

I'm with you on customizing my Chevelle however I want. The last time my '64 was fully original and numbers matching was the day I got it in 1964.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts

I never cared about numbers matching etc... I grew up around foreign cars as well as american muscle. I always wanted American V8 power with european handling..so my car has always been a reflection of that goal. I was influenced by the early Pro Touring and built the car to improve its handling and stopping. I am continuing with that thinking by putting an LS in which should help my weight distribution and give me plenty of horsepower. But I always have and always will drive it as much as possible. No trailer or garage queens here. Frankly I am always disappointed when I go to car shows and see a beautiful Chevelle that is perfectly restored or tricked out and no work has been to the suspension and brakes.

·
Super Moderator
4,751 Posts
If you have numbers matching you are lucky...I don't so I am not concerned about it...Those who do, I get it...
Now if I didn't like the original look then I am not sure I would have done a Chevelle...maybe something easier to get parts for and restomod it...
Not sure what it would have been. taste's change and even the thought of doing a different car after waiting 38 years to do mine is mind boggling...Now once it's done and I drive it...I hope I like it...It's been a long time and we have been spoiled driving new tech cars and then driving a 54 year old car....handling, comfort? I may want to change some things to make those things better....Does it change the look ...No Does it make it more drivable and enjoyable Probably...I'll let you all know when she hits the road and I get my ass in the seat for a few hours!
You have it so tough Casey. Power seats, windows, locks,brakes, steering, rear defroster, nice bluetooth stereo but no AC that you say that you don't need up there anyway or do you now. Are you gonna add cruise control and heated seats Casey :p

·
Premium Member
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The LS stuff is not as common as the internet makes it seem... when I go to a local car show, for every 100 cars there maybe 2-3 are LS swapped. Carb'd smallblocks are still the majority.

Yeah. Only at big events like Goodguys do see the LS swaps.

·
Premium Member
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I thought you were asking about a 5.3 in a Chevelle or something. I remember something like that because it had replies with 1/4 mile times and I have a LS so it was interesting.
No.

·
Premium Member
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't know about "most people". Son and I are building a 65 Chevelle Convertible with the parts we have from years of swap meets. It was an absolute rust bucket, no floors, etc. Not a viable project if you have to pay someone else to the paint and body work. It is coming along, have SB 400, Muncie, 12 bolt.
That would be most builds. The 60's were about 60 years ago. Impossible to build a numbers matching car unless you have a whole car from start. So many directions you can go with a build.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts