Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i am still trying to decide what to do with my 350. The key word here is CHEAP. so i was looking at the summit rebuild kits. for under 300 hundred you get pretty much every thing you need for the lower end. i want about 10 to 1 compression. i have 76 cc heads and the ratios are based on 64 cc heads. you can get 9.73, 10.72, and 11.93 to one so what is closest to 10 with the 76 cc? or should i find some rebuild heaads with 2.02s and 64 cc chambers? for the rest of the combo i was going the run comp cams 270. edelbrock rpm intake holley 600. and headers. will i have a valve clearance prob with the pistons? and will stock rockers work?does this combo sound matched? any suggestions are greatly appreaciated. also would like a solid lifter cam that make power eaqual to or better than the 270. forgot to menchen that the heads will be fully ported.
thanks
alex

·
Registered
40 Posts
If those numbers are based on a 64 cc head then using a 76 cc head usually lowers the CR .8 to 1.2 so the 11.93 would change to a 10.73 roughly, and the 10.72 would go to 9.8. With around 10:1 CR you might want to try the 280 Comp Cam and the performer rpm intake. Since you are on a budget just try to find some 64 heads if you want them, but you can get the same compression from a 76 and use your money to have them worked over a little bit. Add a 2500 stall and 3.73's and you are looking at the high 13 sec range, or beter traction permitting.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
If you want 10-1 compression get rid of your heads. There is no cheap way to get it. I went this route a few years ago and the only pistons I could find were TRW pistons for a 70 LT1. These pistons are very expensive, costing more than most economy rebuild kits. I would get some Vortec heads and use some off the shelf flat top pistons. Also I would use a different carb, try using a Holley 3310, 750 vacuum secondary carb. It is a much better choice for your combination. Good luck.

Steve R.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just completed a rebuild using a Summit kit and 76 cc heads. I have around 10.3/1 with those 11.9 pistons. I used Summits .468/468 lift hydraulic cam (#104) and have no clearance problems. The engine runs great with a Holley 3310 and Holley dual plane intake. The kit was about $265. and included most everything you will need.I think you will be happier with a hydraulic cam, a lot less trouble. I put the 2.02/1.60 valves in the 76 cc heads with Z28 springs.I have a 2200 stall and that just about when the cam kicks in. All in all, a nice street combo. Good luck.
Ray

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.