Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sent the glass from my 69's rearview mirror for resilvering. Was wondering about putting it back together. Was thinking about maybe using some weatherstrip adhesive to stick the rubber bladder/seal to the thin flange on the stainless housing. Anyone had better luck with anything else? Then was wondering about bonding the glass to the bladder. Some have said don't use anything and thought I read about special mirror adhesive. Also thought I saw where someone recommended using a little silicone. Dont want to use anything that will attack the silvering on the mirror.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Everything attacks silvering. But we used to spray clear lacquer on the fresh cut and edged edges of 1/4" mirror. Moisture is most deadly. Palmer mirro mastic is too thick for what you are doing. Will the Day-Night feature be gone?

Steve O.

·
Premium Member
13,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen on bathroom mirrors they use some type of black adhesive to hold it to the wall. Is this the Palmer mastic you speak of. I don't think the day/night feature will be affected. That is why I sent it to be resilvered rather than just get a replacement piece.

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dhart99: Obviously would want to protect the exposed portion of the mirror from laquer but are you saying to tape off the newly resilvered portion of the mirror and just spray the all the way around the edge.

Shane: Actually I haven't received it back yet but I sent it to a place called Silver Service which I found through searching here. Googled them and got a phone number. The person I spoke with said he wanted $15.00 plus return shipping. In my case another $10.00. Much more reasonable than a couple other places I checked which wanted $45.00 plus shipping. Also other people here have used them in the past so thats good enough for me. Must send them the glass only so you will have to remove it yourself. Heated mine up with a heat gun and starting in a corner I got underneath the glass with a plastic scraper and worked down along the edge. Once I got approx 60% pried free the rest just popped out.

·
Super Moderator
9,739 Posts
Hi Brad.
Do you have a website or address/phone number for Silver Service?

·
Registered
143 Posts
You can spray the whole back if you want , it wont hurt the new silver there should already be a protective coating over the silver , most important is the edge where the silver is exposed to moisture . You can always ask the guys doing the work on the glass, they are the experts.

·
Premium Member
13,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Silver Service Inc.
16120 Vandustrial Lane
South Holland IL 60473

(708) 331-5501

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Silver Service Inc.
16120 Vandustrial Lane
South Holland IL 60473

(708) 331-5501
I used Silver Service for my mirror four years ago. Good work, quick turn-around and fair price.

There is absolutely no need or reason to use any kind of adhesive on the back side of the mirror - even adhesive made expressly for mirrors. The edging around the mirror back will hold the glass in place.

As noted, moisture penetrating along the edges is the biggest enemy but it takes a long, long time to do any damage. I did nothing with mine and it is holding up quite nicely. If you feel an obligation to do something, I would brush clear nail polish on the edges and not screw with the silvering on the back.

Rich

·
Premium Member
13,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rich: What did you use to glue the rubber bladder to the stainless frame?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts