Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rearview mirror came off my pickup and I have never had good luck with the glues to hold them up. Is there some trick I am missing? Is there a certain brand I should get? Does GM make a special glue?

Thanks

------------------
Brian

1970 Chevelle Malibu
355 ci with
Holley Projection-4
Global West A-Arms

Pics of My 70
My Software

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I have never had a problem with the 2 part rear view mirror epoxy that is available at most parts stores. Just make sure you clean both the glass and mount before installing, and remember you have to remove the mirror from the mounting piece and just glue the mount to the windshield. You cant try to glue the mirror and mount to the window when they are assembled, it is too heavy. When it is done right you need to put your feet on the windshield to pull these things off!

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Brian,
I'm with you. I tried to get the part-store glue to work, only to have to re-glue it 3-6 months later. Especially if the summer is real hot. Maybe I'm doing the same thing wrong you are, dunno. But, I took my truck to a local windsheild place. My luck was that they didn't charge me, so long as I tipped the installer. Very cool. Never had a problem with that mirror after that.

------------------
Better Late than Never Fred
Team Chevelle #400
ACES #4055
Denton ...The home of happiness.
1970 Chevelle Malibu

·
Super Moderator
13,013 Posts
Brian,
I have done several and never had a problem with the glue kits from the parts stores. I think one thing is very important, getting all the old glue etc off the window and mirror.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
10 Posts
you can use the loctite 2-part adhesive found in most part stores.it's alot easier to get the old glue off if you put some alcohol or lighter fluid on the bracket and lite it then scrape it with a single edge razor blade.also,take some medium grit emery cloth or something to rough up the bracket on the side that goes against the windshield.after you put the primer on the glass and the bracket,wait till it's dry before applying the glue.after applying the glue to the bracket only, put it against the windshield and push fairly hard for about 30 seconds. that should hold it.i've worked in glass shops for years and this method has never failed me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.