Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: While driving down the highway yesterday at about 55 mph I noticed if I quickly depressed the gas pedal that the rear of the car seemed to drift to the left. Almost as if the left rear broke loose but I didn't jump on it that hard. It almost feels like the axle or entire rearend slid a little to the left like it wasn't attached to the car. If I slowly roll on the gas it doesn't happen.I came home tonight and pulled the wheels. The control arms are secure. The bushings all seem fine and the axles have very little in and out play. I checked the play on my 69 and it was about the same. It is a12 bolt non-posi rear with 3:73 gearing. Any clues?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine did the same thing. When I got the controll arm off the bushings were really bad.
So bad the back right wabbled when it rolled. Burhings worked for me.

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll take them apart and check them out. Any suggestions on which one to check first.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
replace the lower control arm bushings first, they are easier, if it doesnt fix it, then do the uppers

·
Registered
13 Posts
A few years back, the 12 bolt posi in my chevelle would feel squirlly when I'd take a corner. Felt like the rearend was coming loose. I checked the bushings and they
seemed tight and didn't look woreout. Replaced all the bushings....problem solved.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Check your shocks.... They may not look bad but you may have blown a inner seal making the shock work in one direction but not the other making it feel weird down but not up transitions. when you disconnect the shock it should be hard to push it in and out. In other words it should not slide quick either way. Oh and check the air pressure in the tires too. Jim

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I second checking the air pressure. It's the simplest thing to check. Mine were uneven and the ride was incredibly squirrelly. It was a difference of only 2-3 pounds. Evening out the pressure fixed the problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the exact same problem left rear was 28 right rear 23. Once both at 32 psi the problem was gone. Never even thought to look, they looked fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts