Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone recently told me about an option in his '68 Malibu that's gotta be rare. He says he has a factory rear window defroster in his '68. He described it as what sounded like another heater. Apparently it works with a fan mounted on the floor somewhere and ducting that routes warm air through the package tray to the back window. Is this something that the factory did or is this guy just yanking me? Bryan

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
This is a factory option that is a mini heater w/fan attached under the package tray. Basically its a fillament (like a light bulb or a toaster) that heats up and a fan pushes air past it.

------------------
Joe Y.
68 malibu
Bloomington/Normal, IL

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I recently removed one from a '72 and it was only a blower that circulated air over the rear glass. In my days working at a car company, I did some testing on these and none of the units I tested had heaters in them. And they did not work all that well.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Really? I thought they had heaters in them. That might make them actually WORK.

------------------
Joe Y.
68 malibu
Bloomington/Normal, IL

·
Registered
155 Posts
OK, I know I'm not supposed to talk about the Monte on the Chevelle pages, but I must weigh in here. My 72 Monte has one of these rare Rear Window Defoggers. I just today decided to get it working. It had a blown 4 amp fuse. Replaced it with another 4 amp and it ate it about 90 seconds. The motor sounded kinda nasty, 'specially in low speed. I'll try lubrication...some 5W30 Synthetic.

Mine has a duct coming up from the floor to the fan area. I'll keep you posted on this mystery option. I really hope it works, cause in So Cal we get a lot of condensation on the inside, because our winters are not dry like the cold weather areas. Sometimes it even rains...11-12 inches is a big year for us!

------------------
Dale P.
Team Chevelle Member# 423
65 El Camino
72 Monte Carlo
"..you did you take the washer off, right?"

[This message has been edited by DaleP (edited 10-17-99).]

·
Registered
337 Posts
Both my 72 Chevelle and my 72 Monte came from the factory with the blower type rear defogger neither have a heater on them or a duct going to the floor.

Jeff

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is it possible that the duct work you are talking about is the air tube that runs directly behind the rear seat???

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
My 69 Malibu has a rear window defogger that is simply an electric motor that draws air from behind the rear seat and ducts it onto the rear window. I've had this thing apart and there are no heating elements to warm the air. My best guess is that it is supposed to defrost/defog from what little warm air it gets from the interior.

Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well maybe I jumped the gun by saying the duct came from the floor, it was pointed down at a severe angle. But this morning I did my usual turn up the defroster until it's so hot I've got meat falling of the bone and ran it low, so as not turn zap another fuse and it work surprisingly well. I cycled it up to High a few times and it cleared it up way before I needed to transition from one freeway to the other.

I got out my 1972 Monte Carlo Owners manual...had to move the original window sticker and 2 (count 'em 2) build sheets to find it in the glove box [End of Gloating] and it stated that the rear window "Defroster" blows air from the passenger compartment onto the rear glass to clear fogging. So y'all are right, it's just a fan that sucks from the pass compartment.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses, guys. Sounds like a pretty popular option. I had never heard of it before. I learn about more neat stuff on this site...
Bryan

·
Registered
166 Posts
My 71 Malibu had one and it was pretty useless. It couldn't even defog, let alone defrost. So I took it out and put it in a box and then moved my subwoofer box against the rear seat. With the amp mounted on top of the box, the heat would flow up through where the old defogger used to be, and actually defog the middle of the rear window rather quickly.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Gold Member #101
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
934 Posts
I've noticed some people here are saying defroster and some defogger.

I believe they were defogger's. I've never seen or heard of any with a heating element, but if it does exist then maybe that one is called a defroster.

I have a defogger in my 69 Chevelle and it most certainly works. When it's raining out and the inside of the window "fogs" up, flip the switch and within no time it's all clear. Wouldn't do any good if it were frost though.

This might clear up the mystery of some people saying they work and some saying they don't.

Just my thoughts.

P.S. I have a defogger for sale incase this topic stirred up a need to have one (70-72 style). Have 2 switched w/bezels too.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

silverstone.fortunecity.com/tvr/246/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
39 Posts
EVERY Chevelle or Monte Carlo I've ever owned got one of these rear window de-foggers installed. That is the first item I go look for in the bone yards after purchasing one of these cars. Around here it seems like the back window always fogs up. Run your A/C for a few minutes with the rear fan on and your back window clears right off! I even managed to scrounge up an original dash mounted switch for my '72. The switch looks just like the convertable top switch.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have heard of these also on convertables, how would this work in a convertable with the well liner and where the top folds down that would be the location of the blower unit correct. I have never seen one on a convertable but I was told they were also a option. Does anyone have a bevel defrost switch for sale? I would like to buy one.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I had one of the rear defrosters on a convertible, a fully loaded 69 impala ragtop (what a boat you could get 6 people across the back seat at the drive in!)..it mounted on the metal firewall behind the back seat, in between the speaker mounts. Never did get to try it, was only a summer car. I guess these defrosters are rare, the hardtop ones are everywhere, easy to find.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It's been a while since I looked at one but from what I remember there was a dropping resistor is series with the fan that may have been mistaken for a small heating element. It looks very similar to the resisitors in the heat/ac box on the firewall. In fact it would generate a very small amount of heat but was intended to reduce the voltage to the blower.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Stevenb8,

I have 2 of these switches for sale and they include the bezel. $25.00 each. They also have them at National Parts Depot for $69.00

I have a long list of Chevelle parts for sale, if you want, let me know and I can e-mail you the list.

These defoggers were on convertible as well, but quite rare or so im told. Someone just wrote me in hopes that the one I had for sale was for a convertible.

According to him, the vent outlet was long and skinny unlike the hardtop units. He also said he heard of one unit selling for $1500.00! I don't know if it's true or not though. Yikes! Don't know about you but I'd rather have a fogged up window.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

silverstone.fortunecity.com/tvr/246/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
155 Posts
I used the word 'Defroster" in quotes because my owners manual called it that. The picture and description of the A/C controls was also wrong. It is a poor example of documentation, but maybe it's common for the era. The stuff today is much better...not much more helpful, but more accurate.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.