Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is nothing new and did a search and lengthy read of lots of threads. But I would like to see a website or something showing someone repairing this section. Including fabricating the necessary patches.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I patched the rear window lower corners on my 68 el Camino by fabricating my own patch panels. I made the panels out of three pieces of sheet metal. The outer piece followed the shape of the outer edge of the window trim and the limit of the rusted area, the center piece was a flat strip that followed the shape of the glass and the last piece was cut to fit the flat area where the window seal is located. All of the pieces are flat and then welded together before they where welded to the window opening. Once they are in place you can shape the outer piece to fit the sail panel or panel near the window opening. If you have a sheet metal shrinker / stretcher you can make the repair panel in two pieces. Also, there is an eBayer selling the patch panels on eBay. They are “L’ shaped in cross-section and if you need to repair a portion of the sail panel or the panel by the window you will have to make that piece and weld it to the repair panel sold on eBay.

There is a Mopar (sorry) website that details the repair quite well. Here is the link;

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0710_rear_window_rust_repair/index.html

Mine wasn’t as bad as the one in the above link but the procedure is the same. The patch panel used in the link looks like the ones I made. As it has been said many times before on this site, take your time and turn up the heat on your welder to minimize melting through the area you welding.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heres a pic of the damage of the worst part. It looks like it is mostly contained to just the top panel. It was pretty fun to take the rear window out and find alluminum and pop rivets held together with bondo forming the window channel.:eek:

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
Man, that sure looks nasty, could you get us another picture of the whole area, its a little hard to tell with that one. Get a half a dozen pictures if you can, clear ones. At least one that shows the whole area.

Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok guys this one is a lot better. I even busted out the crayons and highlighted the harder to see rust through areas in red. check it out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't done much besides hammer forming so my welding skills are probably better. I don't have many sheet metal tools like shrinker/stretchers or brakes or shears. But I do have a few of the Ron Founier Sheet metal books.

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
You can get some poster board or real thin aluminum flashing, the flashing can be bent with your finger tips, and start making some templates to duplicate the bends, then bend the metal to match it. you could try some a foot long, and if that won't work drop back to shorter pieces.

I wouldn't cut anything out until you get some metal bent up.

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
Once you get some angles bent up, then you can cut some little v's in it to make your bends. Don't get sheet metal that is to thick, probably about 1/32'' or just a tiny bit thicker, heres some thicknesses.

http://www.1969supersport.com/smthoughts.html.

Its a lot of monkeying around laying all this out, but if you take your time, you can retain your original structure. Little pieces mean a lot of extra welding, but keeping the shape of the original window opening is what your after.

Anyway, I hope some of this helps.

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
I just thought of one more thing that might help, then I'll be quiet.

This will work to do a little tweaking, but you will need to get it pretty hot so you don't bend the whole structure, I don't know if you have torches, but if you don't you might be able to borrow some for the finishing touches.

Just don't hammer on it very hard, and get a dolly or something behind it to keep it from bending in.

http://www.1969supersport.com/fpl.html

Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are like a scientist. I wish the magazines and stuff went to the effort you do.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 35 Posts