Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
You sure can add one. However, if you have open, non-boxed lower control arms, you need to make sure to install spacers to keep from crushing the arm.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Im sure it was available, but I dont think the F41 suspension was standard on the elcaminos like the chevelles. I had a 71ss elcamino with buildsheet, no rear bar and the buildsheet stated F40 suspension.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buddy,boxed arms are the lower control arms onthe rear end. Boxed means that they have a plate welded across the bottom side of the arm making them sturdier,it makes them a four sided channel instead of an upside down U shaped channel>!!
Rick

·
Registered
278 Posts
Boxed control arms are the rear control arms that go from the bottom of the rear to the lower arm mount on a rear frame crossmember. If you're going rear-sway bar, definitely a neccessity, or you could twist the arms. You can buy aftermarket arms through Year-One, etc. I'd go for new PST polygraphite bushings all around while you're in there. (PST actually offers a nice sway bar kit that you can discount if you get front and rear at the same time.)

·
Super Moderator
16,047 Posts
I wish you could still post pictures here! Anyway, if you want a picture of what we are talking about, go to www.geocities.com/motorcity/flats/8627/rearaxle.jpg which is a detail shot of my current restoration progress on my 65 SS. The lower control arm is in the bottom right corner of the photo and the upper control arm can be seen in the upper center of the photo.

The rear anti-sway bar attaches to the lower control arms. You can see an aftermarket bar attached to my arms, it is bolted to a plate that is bolted to the bottom side of the control arm. Factory style bars are bolted to the inside sides of the lower arm. In fact, you can see the factory drilled holes in the arm in the photo if you look closely enough (these arms are Chevy HP parts, the original 65 arms were not boxed).

If you want to see all the photos of my project progress, go to www.geocities.com/motorcity/flats/8627/

·
Registered
117 Posts
thanks for helping me out
so the SSM lift bars on my chevelle are boxed lower control arms? And the upper control arms are holding my rear in place on top of the housing?

·
Super Moderator
16,047 Posts
Correct, upper arms attach to the upper center portion of the rear axle. These arms keep the axle from twisting nose down on acceleration and nose up on braking. The lower arms are what transmit the acceleration and braking force to the rest of the car.

I don't know what SSM arms are.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Rich-L79 What the hell is that picture all about
It looks like a front sway bar rigged up on the rear?

Check out www.globalwest.net
I don't need one as recommended by Global West due to the handling package I installed.
I think when you order a rear bar they'll come with mounting hardware and shims, but NO spacers. In the old days, for a spacer, we'd cut a piece out of an old bumper jack because it's got the same taper as the lower trailing arms

If you put one on be sure it's smaller than the front.

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 02-01-2000).]

·
Registered
648 Posts
Cardiac, Why a smaller diameter sway bar in the back than in the front? Any other relationship between front and back that should be maintained. I have seen some people use monster bars in the front with no bars in the backt, Is this a case where bigger is always better. Whats the best set up? Thanks in advance Bill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys,
I was thinking of adding the rear sway bar too. How much of a difference will I be able to notice. Also what are the real benefits of using the boxed in control arms. Thanks for you advice!

------------------
69'Malibu 350

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.