Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Skip Cain's artile "Identifying Chevelle SuperSports" he mentions that "Bonafide Supersports used a pair of special rear suspension supports. These tied in to the upper and lower control arm mounting points(above the mufflers.)" Can someone eloborate on this, is he talking about the support mounts, or the control arms? I thought that only SS Chevelles had both the upper and lower control arms.

------------------
Thanks,
ccrider
Member #:267
ACES Member #:3379
66 Chevelle SS

·
Registered
79 Posts
All Chevelles had both upper and lower control arms. Generally, they were not boxed unless it was an SS (had the F41 suspension) with a sway bar.

Skip is (probably) referring to two braces. Nothing more than a peice of metal (bracket) that connected to the frame and the ... (I'm drawing abit of a blank here - been awhile since I looked) .. lower control arm.

Although these braces are usually found on SS's, my '70 Malibu had them as original equipment.

·
Registered
283 Posts
It seems the El Camino has them also. As both of mine do and neither are SS.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette,71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
They go from the lower control arm inner bolts to the upper control arm upper bolts at the frame..easily installed so dont take them as godsend that the car is an ss, and as already stated they come on non ss cars too. I usually find them on 70-72 monte carlos also.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.