Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course my new Bilstein rear shocks for my '68 didn't come with new upper mounting bolts.
Can someone tell me what size bolts I need to mount the upper part of the shock to the mounting bracket?

Thanks,
-Greg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Make sure those are grade 8 bolts.
I use 5/16 fine thread grade 8 bolts and nuts.
Nice to see you here Virle. :hurray::beers:

Is there a clearance issue between the body and the upper shock mount when using longer bolts? I seem to remember that, but it has been too long. My body is now off the frame and I am thinking of making something permanent to avoid future clearance issues -- if it would be helpful.

Terry in Berwyn.

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
I always just drop the bolt down thru the top of the rear shock mount...and also use a washer between the nut and the shock flange.

·
Premium Member
3,974 Posts
Terry,

I's good to hear from you.

A one inch bolt should be long enough and you should be able to drop it in the hole between the frame and body. Do you need a longer bolt than that? You could relieve the body a little at that point (I know.. :) ).

You can drop the bolt in from the top before you set the body and it will be in place as Bill said or install it from the bottom later with nut and washer on top. I prefer dropped in from the top.

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Actually, I don't recall having any issues dropping the shock bolts in from the top with the body in place.
Just takes nimble fingers...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know the bolt drops in from the top -- at least it did on my 1972 wagon and I would expect they are all the same. I also know that over time the upper spring perch/shock mount migrates toward the body. It would be too long a story to tell you how I know. :D

Right now my body and frame are separated by several miles, so installing the upper shock bolts is no issue. I am just thinking ahead. Stainless steel and some way to fasten the bolts to the mount so I don't ever have to try to get a wrench between the mount and body is what I was thinking about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts