Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have two young ones that love to cruise w/me in my 69, I need a way to secure their car seats in the back. There is no shoulder straps in the car. Is the a coversion available that won't require hacking the car up?
I thought I read somewhere that there was an option for this?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just an idea. If you don't want to install an after market three point belt system in the rear and if the standard lap belts won't do the trick, you can try this.

Obtain a regular lap belt system, the longer the better. Remove the seat back and anchor the female end of the belt to one of the seat belt anchor points. (Choice of anchor points may depend on child seat design.) Anchor the male end to either a seat belt anchor point or the bolt that holds the seat back secure. Install the seat back and run the male end up behind the seat back so it comes out between the seat back and package tray/rear shelf. Exact configuration may vary depending on the child car seat. This should hold the child seat in place. Do not recommend this with a full sized passenger.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Rear shoulder belts definitely were an option in 69. The option codes were:
AS4 Deluxe Rear Seat Shoulder Harness
AS5 Standard Rear Seat Shoulder Harness

When I had my 69 stripped to a bare shell I found what I think are the mounting points. If you look at the package tray sheet metal there are two raised bosses with two holes in each on the forward edge just outboard of the speaker locations. These look like the anchor points for the same shoulder belts that the front used (didn't check the spacing to make sure however). To install the belts requires holes thru the package tray liner, and a reinforcement or couple large washers and nuts from inside the trunk. Also an additional set of belts with buckles mounted to the same points as the existing lap belts. Good luck!

By the way, I thought back seats were where children came from, not where you put them ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts