Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the proper (without tearing anything up)technique is for removing the back part of the rear seat. I need to replace the trunk divider. Also, and I think I already know the answer, how do you remove & replace the A/C vents in the dash. Thanks. RC

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not sure if it applies but I just removed the rear seat on my 72 Chevelle by removing the two bolts at the bottom and lifting up on the seat.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Remove the rear armrests, and the seat bottom, there are 2 bolts and 2 metal tabs bent over at the lower corners of the seat back. Pull the seat back forward at the bottom a few inches then lift up to clear the 3 metal tabs near the package tray. Reverse to install. Hope this helps.

------------------
Jimm Hildebrand
TC #345
'69 Malibu

·
Registered
543 Posts
the bottm just lifts out, lift the front straight up and pull the seat out. there's 2 fasteners at the bottom of the back (against the trunk divider). remove the bolts and lift straight up, theres hooks behind the package shelf. seems to me it would be hard to get to the rear armrests and quarter panel extensions with the back seat in, maybe you could do it--

·
Registered
3 Posts
have a trunk lock problem on a 70, have the bottom part of seat out , the car interior was just redone so i don't want to muscle it out and destroy it ,,have the two bolts out from the bottom of the back, do i need to remove arm rest ?? ,from prev post what is "package tray" ? does not seem to want to lift up ,,,,so do i pull bottom toward me then lift up ?

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Pete. There are 3 fingers that stick up and lock the top of the seat back in place. After you remove the two bolts at the bottom of the rear seat back, yes, pull the bottom of the seat back towards you slightly and push the seat up to disengage the finger hooks that are at the top of the seat back hidden inside.

I'll be brutally honest. It's a real b**** and a struggle as it seems if you disengage one or two hooks, the third one stays in place just to spite you.

Also it's easy to damage the seat with the metal filler panels on each side of the rear seat back. These unfortunately can't be removed until the entire rear seat is out as the come out apart of the arm rests.

Package tray--thing between the top of the rear seat and the back glass in which some people put stuffed animals and packages on to obscure vision. l:)

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
pete always post new question in new thread if you want answeres. but if the rear seat is beaing held in by the sides then yes remove the sides first. should just lift up and out. package tray is horizontal part below rear window where speakers would mount. you don't need to remove that. maybe should be able to pop lock through the seat back. maybe with long piece of steel. otherwise pull the lock from the rear.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
You can NOT remove the rear arm rests and rear arm rest side filler panels until the entire rear seat is out.

·
Registered
917 Posts
You can NOT remove the rear arm rests and rear arm rest side filler panels until the entire rear seat is out.

You can remove the rear arm rests.. you kind of have to as they are in the way when you try to pull the seatback of the rear bench out. It's just a couple of bolts and the arm rest comes right off. Getting the side panels off is another story.

Reactions: 427L88
1 - 11 of 11 Posts