Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much should i expect to pay to have a rear quarter panel replaced not including paint? just labor. 71 chevelle

· Registered
136 Posts
your looking at 18 hrs at the labor rate of the shop in your area plus any extra fab work. are labor rate is 42 in the collision type body shops in central fla and resto shops run up to 65 hr i have heard. the 18 hrs is book time . book time is what shop use to estimate a job hope this helps

· Registered
523 Posts
that was for factory gm quarters. the aftermarket quarters need more time. expect around $1000 a side.

· Registered
523 Posts
My quote usually includes drop offs and wheel houses. I usually go $1000 per side including these.

· Registered
523 Posts
I would be interested to know what your hourly rate is 1 bad 69?
Well if a customer pays me a weekly check for the labor done i usually as around $35. I was cheaper untill the economy went south. I get more quality people also since i raised my prices. Not rich and snobby people, but more down to earth and honest. However i usually do things by the job. For instance if a customer wants a full resto i usually quote and contract every area. Like quarters. I price stripping, de-leading, welding, panel alignment etc. So for that quote i usually ask $1000 as long as i dont run into crap like a piece of rocker needing to be welded in.

· Registered
1,034 Posts
I guess everyone is different but that seems cheap to me.So basically you charge 28 hrs to change the quarter if there is no other damage and if there is you will install inners and dropoffs at the same price??That makes no sense to me why throw in extra work?

· Registered
523 Posts
I guess everyone is different but that seems cheap to me.So basically you charge 28 hrs to change the quarter if there is no other damage and if there is you will install inners and dropoffs at the same price??That makes no sense to me why throw in extra work?
Well if the quarter is bad enough to replace it then the drop offs and wheel houses are bad too. I very rarely see a bad quarter that has good wheel houses or drop offs. Think about it. The quarter side usually rots from the inside out. The cancer had to originate from the wheel house or drop off. After all the quarter got cleaned down through the years from the front. The back of the quarter and inside wheel well rarely got hosed off. Dirt then got trapped and then started trapping water untill rust through. And no i dont charge 28 hours to do this, i charge this by the job. If it takes 15 hours or 40 hours that is what i would charge. Now i am not gonna block sand the quarter for hours to get it super straight but i will put a protective coat of primer or possibly coat with poly prime for the customer. If a skin is used then i have to charge to get the oil cans out of the welds. More labor intensive to do skins in my opinion.

· Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry i didnt mention its a calif car w/no visable rot and original paint but the corner was hit and wrinkled bad. the other side has a little peeling behind the lower wheel area. maybe patch it?

· Registered
523 Posts
Sevt_chevelle might want to chime in but ut sounds like there is stress on the body. Probably why the lower part eeled on the other side. If it was hit you might need more attention. Got pics?

· Premium Member
2,089 Posts
I just stopped at a local body shop today, to ask the exact same question. He told me about 12 hours and around $650-$700. I'm going to jump on that!

I caught him as he was leaving for lunch though, so I'm expecting closer to $1000

· Premium Member
141 Posts
I just stopped at a local body shop today, to ask the exact same question. He told me about 12 hours and around $650-$700. I'm going to jump on that!

I caught him as he was leaving for lunch though, so I'm expecting closer to $1000
Careful...You get what you pay for.
If this is a racer or a daily driver then go ahead but if you dont want rust coming through the paint in a couple years then at least look at what they've done for other folks in your area.

· Registered
523 Posts
Charging by the hour is the only way to go and I 100% agree with you.But you said [email protected] per side and that works out to 28.5 hrs.
Hey dude, read my posts. I never give a 35 hour quote. Not being an a$$ just went over my posts and never give a 35 hour quote anywhere. Now i did say my rate was "around $35 an hour" not 35 hours. You may have meant that but i did not see the $ sign anywhere. And yes sometimes 28 hours is a realistic time quote being the new non-fitting metal. The last car i done was the nova and the quarters were horrible fitting. Now i just finished fitting a quarter on my 69 camaro and like a glove sir. And my economy at my current location is welfare city my friend. Almost 99% of my business is internet. That is why i contract all my work. Last quote i give on a frame off was $10k labor on a 69 camaro and the guy flipped out on me cursing and everything. At that time i was struggling for cash.

I will do the job provided there is no previuos damage and there is no frame work involved for the $1000. But i have a frame rack also. Dont know if you have read any of my past postsd but you can search my threads and see alot of my work. I am ASE master certified, all iCARR modules, vocational teacher. If you were close i would get that thing out the door by the end of this month or you would not pay. Tell you what i am going to try to post a quarter replacement in "REAL" time this week. The vocational school has my ride and i am teaching them the next 2 weeks on classic car repair. Perfect timing! The car is a 69 chevelle SS Anybody interested or am i wasting my time? its a skin also so there you go!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.