Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the site. I have a 64 Chevelle and I am getting ready to install new floor pans in the car. I had the front and rear glass pulled and the lower lip of the rear glass is rusted out bad. I've found they make a replacement panel that goes from the window lip back to the trunk lid lip where the trunk weatherstripping goes. I'm wondering if anyone has replaced this before and how to go about doing it? Is it spot welded in? Is there welds at the seams? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I did this on my 66, this is what I learned. Try to remove only the panel and leave intact as much of the adjacent metal as possible. I used a die grinder with 3" cutoff wheel to grind off spot welds. Install molding studs in the new panel channel before installing panel, use the old panel to get locations for the studs. After prepping the panel and body, test fit panel and clamp in place. Use lots of clamps, I used vise grips and c-clamps, about 8-10 of them. Tweak new panel if necessary - there is a lot of contour to the panel so getting it to match up to the body was not that difficult. After the panel is clamped in, determine where to drill holes for plug welds, make sure you can get to them with a welder before you drill. Pull the panel, drill the holes, reclamp the panel and weld it in. I did this over 10 years ago, so I forget how I prepped the body and new panel before welding it in. Others can chime in on that.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Good info from Wayner66 above, esp. the trim stud part. When cutting your old panel out you have the long exposed seam where it attaches to the quarter panel. You should make your cut on the old panel right next to the seam. Drill or cut the rest of the spot welds and remove the old panel. Now you can go back/get at the exposed seam. Look for the spot welds on the flange and drill them out and peel the old panel away from the quarter panel flange. You will weld your new panel onto this flange from inside the trunk when you get to that point by drilling 1/4" holes in your new flange and plug welding to the old flange.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.