Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 71 chevelle and as far as I know the rear end is stock (one-legger). How can I find out if I have a 8.5 rear-end or a 8.2? Does anyone know a good place to get a new posi centerpiece or c-clip, i think they call it? any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Try a search on "8.2 or 8.5" in the Engine and Drivetrain forum. There are some outside marking on the pumpkin that give it away. you most likely have an 8.2

You said "posi centerpiece". Do you mean the shaft that slides inside the carrier to hold the axles and C-clips outward against the carrier to keep it all together? Or just the little C-clips that prevent the axles from sliding out the tube?

If you mean just the posi-carrier itself, to convert to a posi rear end. You go buy a new Eeaton posi for a good price, or go with the Auburn setup.

-welcome aboard BTW.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.0 @ 88mph
BEST 60': 1.85 w/street tires.
BEST 1/4: 12.5 with 1.89 sixty foot (street tires)
BEST MPH: 109mph

Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

[This message has been edited by BB_Mike (edited 12-12-2001).]

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
If you have the cover off check the ring gear bolts. The 8.2 has 3/8 bolts with 9/16 heads. The 8.5 has 7/16 bolts with 3/4 heads and left hand threads. The 8.2 has a 1 1/8 pinion nut and the 8.5 has a 1 1/4 pinion nut. The Eaton posi is the best.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 Pro Street
427 4 speed 9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drivetrain Parts & Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.