Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NEED HELP 71 chevelle rear end Q!

Last year i finshed restoring my front end to my 71 chevelle, dropping in a 454 redoing new disc brakes, bushings, the whole deal. i dropped a th400 trans in and now i finally picked up a 12 bolt rear (4:10 posi). i am wondering how i should setup my rear when it comes to restoring the whole thing. i am on somewhat of a budget but want to avoid wheel hop to the best of my ability. i was considering this...

Boxing my rear control arms, adding in a single sway bar (1"?), putting on edelbrock anti hop bars. i currently am running air shocks i replaced last year. this is somewhat of a daily driver but i want to take it to the track. i just got brand new bf goodrich drag radials. can i get some input of how i should restore my rear end? thanks alot

·
Registered
157 Posts
first of all i wouldnt put a sway bar on it and the second thing i would do is get rid of the air shocks, i would go with air bags instead,you can run one hose for both or a hose for each for preloading the chassis for track use. i would not waste my time boxing the rear control arm it is almost as cheap to buy a quality set of double adjustable upper and lower rear control arms which gives you adjustability i.e pinion angle and you also have the ability to center the wheels in the wheel opening, you can get the air bags from jegs for like 70 dollars and the control arms from Dave at D.M Products for about 240 dollars for all 4 of them and they come with all hardware and are a nice upgrade........you can contact Dave at 330 801-2066 or by email at [email protected] here are a couple pics of the control arms and how they work on my small block chevelle.....Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: NEED HELP 71 chevelle rear end Q!

ahhh wow good call. i want my chevelle to do wheelies! i was kinda interested in keeping it stock, but my dad was mentioning to me about replacing the upper control arms. its probably more practical to just do all new control bars. (especially for the price). im a little hesitant on the air bags still, but i like how u can preload each one (ie 5lbs in the left rear and 28 lbs in the right rear)

those pictures dont have airbags in them...
do i need adjustable lower control arms? or can i just have upper adjustable ones?

·
Registered
157 Posts
i don't run air bags because my car has a anti-roll bar that is where i do all my chassis pre loading, but i ran one for years and when i say ran one ,i only ran one in my passenger side spring for chassis pre load now i do that with my anti-roll bar.i would run air bags over air shock's any day way more durable and cheaper also and as far as control arms the double adjustable ones like i use are so nice because if i want to change my pinion angle all i have to do is loosen the jam nut on each end and turn the center and waaaa laaaa. plus they didn't break the bank, you would pay more than what all 4 of these cost for a set of lower or upper single adjustable hotchkis, and all they can do is help your car because of the spherical rod ends it free's up your chassis to work better with less binding, plus they look alot better than those stamped steel factory one's, when i took off my factory ones they were twisted so bad it wasn't even funny. you have Dave's number from my previous post just give him a call and see what he says and let me know.....Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts