Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the problem. I need axles bearings and preload set on my differential. (the axles have a lot of slop at the wheels and there's a lot of movement at the carrier before it engages the axles. It also "clunks", like a U-joint, but I've replaced those).

The axle is an "O" type- I was told, originally installed on a 442.

I got it to a gear shop today and they told me they would replace all bearings and posi clutch discs, make neccessary adjustments, and give it a thorough inspection for about $300. I asked him if this rear end was even worth the trouble and he said "the 442's put out some horsepower" and he "NEVER saw one break".

What do you think? Repair this rear end? If so, could this be done in my garage or let the pro do it? $300 would put a nice down payment on a Chevy 12 bolt-if I can find one.

Whaddayathink?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
$300 is about $50 too high, but would be worth it to have a pro do it. I've built hundreds of rear ends over the last 20 years and I can tell you there is a lot more to it than most people think. There are special tools needed and knowledge of gear set up to do it right. I think you would be fine with the one you have, but don't expect to find many parts available for it. There are not many gears for it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.