Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All, I am close to changing the ring and pinion, in My 68 Elk,currently equipped with 3:90 ratio,wich is to low of gears for how I want to drive the car. Anyway I thought if any one wanted to speak out on what rear end ratio they have ,and why they like it,,say like RPM in 4th,,overall performance,street or open hiway driving ,,ect I could use some imput from Yall OH ya the car I have has 350SB M20 4spd and a 12 bolt possi. Thanks Guys!......Loner

·
Registered
834 Posts
My '71 Malibu currently has 2.73 gears in it. But I only have 245/50/14 tires on the back, anyway, bottom end suffers somewhat, at 60mph it does about 2400rpm. But boy, whenever I build a chevelle for my everyday driver and highway cruiser I will go back to the 2.73's, boy can you fly with those gears, your motor will probably not have the power to redline in whatever your 1:1 gear is. I had a hot 350 infront of a TH350 and I couldn't redline it in 3rd, but I wouldn't want to, that would just be TO fast.

Just wanted to add, when going 60mph, it took no time at all to hit 100, so the car wasn't gutless because of the rear, just fast.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
CST Kelsey
'71 Malibu soon to be 454!
member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/Chris'sPage

[This message has been edited by Gandalf80 (edited 08-08-99).]

·
Administrator
16,173 Posts
Loner, I had a 70 with 3.31 12 bolt, 245x60R15 tires (26.5" tall), 350/300 and an M-21. With the M-21 I didn't care for the launch, but with your M-20 it would be much better. In 4th it was great, I could cruise at 65-70 and get 17-20 mpg.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Loner, I've had 3.31's before ( in a Nova) and now have ( I think, by the math ) 3.55's in my '67 Chevelle. From what you've indicated your driving style and mine are different. I going up to 3.73's because even the 55's aren't quite enough. But you should consider the 3.31's. You might lose a bunch of off the line especially with a SBC, but you'll like the cruising end of it. BTW my 3.55's spin 2400 rpm at 55mph with a 28" tire. The 3.31's would probably get you down to 2200 or so.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 08-09-99).]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Loner, I am currently running the m20 4 speed also. I have 3:31 gears and 275-60-15 B.F.Goodrich radials, 28 inch tall tires. I tach around 2700 to 2800 rpm cruising at 70 mph. in 4th gear. With a BBC I do not lose too much off the line, torque wise. Best track time last year with this setup was 13.02 @105 mph. Had excessive tire spin off the line though, although it sounds like you are more interested in highway driving than going to the track.The 3:31 gears are quite easy on the car and the ears if you have loud exhaust.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Guys I really appreciatte Your imput,,guess now the bottom line is what to do. UMmmmmm I may end up with the 3;31s because I do wana use the car for going longer distances say,anywhere from 100 to 500 miles ,what I was gettin at is i wana drive the car at highway speeds apx 65 to 75 without revin out the motor,,, and with my current ratio of 3:90s Im tachin apx 3,200 rpm at 70. needless to say i dont think my car is likin that too much ( vibration) and the motor sounds like its workin pretty hard ! Ya it is a kick gettin it on out of the hole ,,,,but i got places to go and thangs to do! haha OH also I failed to mention that I am runnin BF Goodrich TAs P275 R 15s on the rear. Also I was wondering...is a M20 geared lower than a M21? i am asuming that 4th gear is the same on both trannies though 1:1 well there is so much more that I would like to ask but I dont wana bend You guys ear too much OK ...Thanks Alot Im always open to any coments or sugestions from people like Yourselves!.......Loner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.