Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any hot tips on removing rear control arm rubber bushings,had to cut off bolts,and got out metal sleeve and what was left of the bolt,bushings still there,what's the easiest way to remove it and put in new one,and anybody now what's good to put on the bushings to preserve

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I would get a big chisel and crush the bushing to make it collapse toward the center. It's probably rusted to the rear. If there is too much bushing inside to crush it toward the center, take a torch and burn the rubber out.

------------------
Got Chevelles?
Jeff Carpenter
65 Chevelle/65 Elky
67 Elky Project
Team Chevelle Gold #61

·
Registered
255 Posts
I just installed upper and lower bushing in the front of my car last weekend with the help of my brother in-law (boy am I glad my wife's sister married a mechanic). We found that by heating the metal around the bushing made it much easier to remove the old bushings. We installed the new bushings by placing the A arms over a piece of steel pipe a little larger than the bushing and using a bushing tool and large hammer to install the new bushings.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Does anyone own a vise anymore? When I worked in a machine shop we used a vise when the "press" was in use. A vise can apply an amzing amount of force. The only catch is having a large enough jaw (technique dictates it all). Keep in mind this may not always work for removal, but it certainly makes intallation quicker, safer, easier, and with less risk of damage to the control arm.

Francis

------------------
1967 El Camino
1970 El Camino SS/396

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Did it last year.
What a P.I.T.A. !
I drilled out the rubber of old bushings (about 6 holes each). Did like jeffc, and used a chisle to collapse the metal housings.
Froze the new poly bushings for a couple days. It may have helped, but they are still a drag to force in. Used a 5lb hammer and a length of pipe. Firmed up the ride a bit.
Helped handling, but didn't help traction that I can tell.

------------------
They say I'm crazy, but I have a good time.
<A HREF="http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/thads68.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
68 SS-396</A>
<A HREF="http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/68vette.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
68 Corvette</A>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.