Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any advice for getting the old bushings out of the control arms and rearend housing on my 70 Malibu? I got a set of 4 bushings from GM called "rear axle bushings". Which ones are these? No I can't really tell. I can tell which ones I want to replace. They are the 2 in the top of the housing and the 2 at the rear of the lower control arms. Will these new bushings work there?

------------------
Mike
formerly known as gotapileof70Malibu (so add 80 to my number of posts)
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Mike- seems to me all 8 are the same in the rear. The shell (outer metal piece) is stepped??? They are a real PITA to get out, I use an air chisel and crush the shell, then they will slide out with a punch in the air chisel. Alot easier to do with the rearend on the floor, and the control arms on the bench! I used a press to press mine into the arms, but they were off the car. I think I used a hammer to put the ones in the housing. They go in to the step on the shell.
Dave

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ragtop, do a search of the archives - there's a couple of good responses on the same question. Even tell how to make a press out of pipe. I just bought some poly bushings (haven't put them in yet) and the rear uppers are a different part number from the others (at least on my '68 they are). Anyway, good luck - I've been putting mine off because everyone says what a PITA they are; besides it's hot out - 110 degrees.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I just did a complete set. The ones in the control arms are really easy. Just put some kind os spacer (I made one out of exhaust pipe) inside the control arm to support both sides of the arm. Then a couple whacks with a hammer and they fall out.
The two in the pumpkin can be pressed out with a 2 jaw gear puller.
The new stuff goes in the same way. It helps to lube them a bit. Some penetrating oil on the old ones before you beat on them works.
I used a little "electricians wire pulling lube" on the new ones to help them in. (only because I had it on hand and it is water based)
Go for it, any gorilla that owns a hammer can do it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This question has been answered quite a few times, but I wanted to add something based on the earlier posts:

It is not a PITA! It is easy. Use a drill to remove the bushing rubber. Then use a hammer and chisel/driftpin/whatever to collapse and remove the shell. No problems!

It is a little tougher to install the new ones, but not that hard.

As long as you are replacing bushings in the rear, why not do all of them?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.