Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know GM is pretty good about interchangeability so I was wondering if anyone here has nabbed a trunk electric lock off of some 70's or 80's GM vehicle in their local 'yard and bolted the lock and wired it up to work with the release button in the glovebox. I was wanting this so that I could turn on my NO2 bottle without hunting for the keys and to gain access to the trunk quickly. As you guys can tell I'm a junkyard dog when it comes to see if I can make something work from nothing. Any info would be appreciated on this mod!!

Joe W.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Joe,
I was gonna do that with my 70, but realized that the late 70s-early 80s cars had the lock mechanisms in the trunk lid, as opposed to our Chevelles which have the lock assembly on the body. I never checked the bolt patterns to see if they matched up. If you end up doing this, let us know.

·
Registered
242 Posts
A couple of years ago I was doing some scrounging around in a salvage yard. I came across a 73 Cougar(I think) with the trunk open. I looked around in the trunk (you never know what you will find in a trunk
)and happened to notice that the latch looked the same as my 67 latch. I removed the latch from the Cougar and took it home to compare it with the latch on the 67. Guess what , they were identicle.From then on I looked for a power latch for my 67, on Ford cars. I found that a power latch from a 76 or so(not positive on the year) Ford Elite was a direct bolt in on my 67. The only difference is that the Ford latch uses 2 bolts to hold it in , and my 67 uses 3 bolts ( the electric solenoid is where the third bolt hole would be). If you want, I'll take a picture of it and post it, I think this latch would be the same for 68-72 also. I tried to use a solenoid from a late 70-80s GM(the solenoid is separate from latch), on my 67 latch and, didn't see a way to make it work. The Ford latch has the solenoid built in. Hope this helps

------------------
Ken<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Aces # 125<LI>Team Chevelle # 586[/list]My 67 and other projects

[This message has been edited by KEN67RAT (edited 11-09-2000).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Please post as pic, very intrested. Is there a You-Pull it salvage yard around here/where do you go.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Ken, that's cool! I'm definitely interested in checking that out.

------------------
Rick Sutter
Member #383
'67 Chevelle Super Sport
67SS.com

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ok, guys, here it is.

The original 67 latch is on the right, The Ford latch is larger, but it bolts right in. The Ford latch has this stamped on it,> LECTRON, TROY, MI PAT. NOS 3857001 3917330<. Funny, but the Pat. numbers look like Chevy part numbers. 67_velle, there is a place just south of Clinton. I think the name is South McRaven Auto Parts, and is located on South McRaven RD.I think that they will still let you pull parts.

------------------
Ken<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Aces # 125<LI>Team Chevelle # 586[/list]My 67 and other projects

[This message has been edited by KEN67RAT (edited 11-09-2000).]

[This message has been edited by KEN67RAT (edited 12-31-2002).]

·
Registered
126 Posts
The lock/latch for 68-72 models is common to several late 60's & early 70's GM products, try looking in full size Buicks, Olds, Pontiacs. Here is what is looks like....

I have seen these on ebay for anywhere from $80-200, in fact, I sold one to someone for $190. In fact, the pic is from one on ebay now. I still have several of these left, I just need one for my car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts