Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After pulling my car from an unscrupulous body/paint guy I realize that the stripes that have been painted and cleared over on the rear decklid of my Chevelle skew to the right of center by roughly an inch and a half by the time they get to the rear window. I even bought them the stencil kit and gave them all the diagrams with measurements on the stripe layout.

I would like to attempt this fix by myself as I've really got nothing to lose and will never let the guy who painted it touch my car again. I'm a novice, but I really don't think I can do much worse than what's on it.

My car has a fresh paint job of astro-blue metallic color with white rally stripes. I have enough of the same paint that was used on the car for the blue, white and clear.

Here's what I'm thinking needs to be done:
1) sand off the white stripes down to the base blue
2) scuff the entire decklid clear coat
3) repaint the sanded area blue and blend in to the rear deck
4) mask and paint the white stripes
5) clear coat
or clear coat, then paint the stripes and clear again

Am I on track? Anybody have suggestions. Also, how large of an area will I need to blend in? If I paint just the rear deck lid and area under the window do you think it will look funny agains the paint on the top of the rear quarters?

I'm going to try it, heck if I screw it up, then I can have a different "reputable" shop this time, do the work.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rest of the car is presentable, or will be after a significant amount of time is spent cutting, buffing and run removal. The stripes on the hood are at least straight. I've severed any connection with the guys that did the work and won't ever allow them to touch the car again. The only real good thing that's come from that situation is that it's made me realize the importance of learning body and paint on my own. Thanks for the tip on the clear coat process. I figure if I screw it up, it's really no worse than it is now and it's at least worth a try.

:thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts