Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really dumb question but I searched and didn’t find an answer.
restoring a 69 chevelle L78. trying to go back to original. Restoring the chassis and when I working on the lower rear arms, they don’t look perfectly straight to me. they appear to have a slight bend at each end. Both look identical though.
these are non boxed btw.

so I guess my question should the arms be perfectly straight with just the flare out at the ends for the bushings, or do they have a slight bend?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not sure threw mine out a long time ago but I would assume if they were bent you would have a hell of a time installing them. Especially if both were. It would be almost impossible.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
restoring a 69 chevelle L78. trying to go back to original. Restoring the chassis and when I working on the lower rear arms, they don’t look perfectly straight to me. they appear to have a slight bend at each end. Both look identical though.
these are non boxed btw.

so I guess my question should the arms be perfectly straight with just the flare out at the ends for the bushings, or do they have a slight bend?
got a photo of these??
sounds like a good time to upgrade :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
these are non boxed btw.

If your 69 Chevelle is a true SS then the rear lower control arms should be boxed control arms. Unboxed control arms are usually for a plan Malibu.

·
Premium Member
14,168 Posts
If your 69 Chevelle is a true SS then the rear lower control arms should be boxed control arms. Unboxed control arms are usually for a plan Malibu.
The boxed rear control arms was an option that I believe was part of the F41 option. Has nothing to do with the car being an SS. Besides the control arms could have been altered long, long ago. A non SS Malibu could have boxed control arms.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didnt think boxed control arms started until 70?

either way, I know these are original, the car did not have boxed from the factory.

I'm debating upgrading to boxed, however im trying to restore this car back to original since its a numbers matching L78, so im leaning toward unboxed.

will try to get some pics after work tonight. they didnt look bent to be originally, of course i spend evenings over the last month sandblasting, primering and painting them, and now when im installing new bushing they look a bit off to me

·
Premium Member
14,168 Posts
Here is a couple pics of the original rear control arms off my 69 SS. Look pretty straight to me.
Brown Wood Road surface Rectangle Brick
Brown Wood Tints and shades Rectangle Font

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
1,410 Posts
FWIW…..70 SS396 El Camino, no boxed arms because you could not get the F-41 option on an El Camino with the factory Delco air shocks, and all El Caminos had air shocks from the factory.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Those rear control arms are supposed to flex. Boxing them makes them too stiff for decent street performance handling. With the spherical control arm bushings they make today why even bother with those arms. Also giving one of these cars a true four wheel alignment makes a world of difference in these cars. Having rear adjustable control arms and front upper adjustable control arms gives you all the adjustment you could ever want.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BLM thanks for the pics.
So I think my dad may have dented ours removing the original bushings. Checked them out today. They are straight not bent but the bushing isn’t properly seating. The arm has a slight dent in it, likely from resting it on something to drive the bushing out.

like an idiot I didn’t check these over good enough before restoring them so I spent more hours than I’d like to admit sandblasting, primering, and block sanding.
Might try a porta power to pop the dents out first. Then debate new arms after that.

·
Premium Member
14,588 Posts
Put the boxed control arms in, no one but you even takes time to even look and since it's an SS, they would expect to see boxed arms. Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
1969 models had boxed control arms only if it had the F41 package. Only a little over 1600 69 Chevelles had it, and it wasn't just the SS model that could get the F41 package. It wasn't until 1970 that the F41 package became standard on SS models.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Am I right or wrong to say that the ONLY reason the factory boxed the control arms was so a rear sway bar wouldn’t crush them, meaning if you have a rear bar you need them, and if you don’t you don’t? I not saying there wouldn’t be a performance gain, but if you are looking for that, you probably have the rear bar anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Am I right or wrong to say that the ONLY reason the factory boxed the control arms was so a rear sway bar wouldn’t crush them, meaning if you have a rear bar you need them, and if you don’t you don’t? I not saying there wouldn’t be a performance gain, but if you are looking for that, you probably have the rear bar anyway.
That makes the most sense for the boxing of the rear arms!
Box plates and the little tubes for the bolts to pass through!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts