Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

I just purchased a set of OEM boxed rear control arms and anti-sway bar and going to refurbish. I've read other posts that suggest not using poly bushings on the upper, rear arms due to potential binding, although I see there are vendors (e.g. PST) that sell them.

What's the real story here? Poly lower, rubber upper? Poly all the way around? Application is for my '69 convertible, street car - not auto crossing or anything fancy. My front end was refurbished with poly several years ago, finally getting around to doing the rear.

Thanks in advance -

jim

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've heard poly in the rear and rubber in the front for street use. The rubber seems to have a better steering feel to some people.
Also really grease the poly, it will squeak.

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
Reactions: dmg1029

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
If it is a street car, with occasional drag strip, use good rubber bushings (Moog) all the way around (front and rear).

You and the car will be much happier.

Glenn

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I have UMI bushings (poly) and installed correctly. There are no squeaks or binding. I also have UMI control arms along with a rear sway bar. Take your time and pay attention to get everything lubricated and NOT overtightened.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
David like your UMI Perf suspension parts colour choice

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies thus far...

The problem I'm trying to solve with poly is doing this again in a few years. I've read numerous posts that today's rubber doesn't hold up well. I've been happy with poly on the front - although on rougher roads I do believe it transmits more vibration to the chassis than rubber would.

jim

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Not to harp on it but good quality stock replacement parts (Moog) will last a life time.

In fact Moog offers lifetime replacement.

My 2 cents

Glenn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts