Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the rear body to bumper seal go in? I have the clips but does it attach to the tailgate and to the body? Just asking since I have a aftermarket gate it is missing the inner attachment points for the wiring and I had to cut my own hole for the backup light wire. If someone has a pic that would really help out a lot.

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,636 Posts
It attaches to the body only, If you can find a Chevelle wagon 68-69 they have the same set up as a Camino. The clips that hold it are about 3/8" tall and about 1" -1 1/4" wide and will be black or olive drab.
The Back up light wire holder is attached to the left hinge VIA a tapped hole in the hinge. This dust shield is repoed, Not sure what Co.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!! My car only had the clips, everything else was MIA. I forgot to look on the original tailgate to see if there were any holes in it.

Dave

·
Registered
158 Posts
The assembly manual has a good picture showing how that is installed. Mine's out on loan right now, or I would put up the image for you.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Dave,

If you open the gate and look at you bed, you'll see where it attaches. There should be five or so square holes punched into the bed. This is where the clips attach from the under side. Place the shield first then push in the clips.

Al

·
Registered
22 Posts
1970Elcamino is right on......six holes / six clips. The rubber seal has cut out / hole for the backup light wire....so this goes on the left side.
Place the rubber seal on the bottom of the body panel / insert clip from the bottom, two prongs go through seal into square hole of body panel. While pushing up on clip...bend the two prongs outward. This will hold the seal in place.
After install...each end of the rubber seal will lay on the lip of the body panel, as it tapers downward.
I purchased the seal and clips from the El Camino Store.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, I think I have it pictured in my mind how it goes. I have the Assembly manual reprint for 1970 Chevelle is there a different one for a Elcamino? I have original copies of the 1970 Fisher body and Chassis service guides but my assembly manual is a reprint.

Dave

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Dave,

I think the AIM is the same for both. They note the differences for each option/RPO. I too have a copy of the AIM and not an original. You can get real specific with restoration. The AIM even has change dates. So....if you know when you car was built, you could see how it was supposed to be for that time frame. For instance, the hood stripe D88 or is that D80...? Hell....I can't remember....

Al

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.