Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '72 Chevelle 350 with a 4 speed on the floor saginaw tranny. I am pretty sure it's a Saginaw, based upon the pictures showing the difference between Sag, Muncie and Borg. Seven bolt cover with reverse also on cover means a Saginaw from what I've read?

Question...looking to hook up the rear backup lamps. There's got to be a switch of sorts down at the trannny or the hurst to denote when in reverse...correct? There appears to some type of connector right at the back of the reverse linkage connected in to the cover..could this be the switch?

Txs,

drielly

·
Administrator
16,160 Posts
The back up light switch is mounted at the base of the steering column. There is a backdrive rod that runs from the linkage up to the column to pivot it to both close the switch contacts and place the column in postion to turn the ignition cylinder to lock to be able to remove the key and lock the wheel. The after market shifters usually have an extra hole on the reverse arm to attach the backdrive rod.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect!!!...I noticed in the Service Manual the linkage, but couldn't correlate what it did.

Thanks a bunch!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts