Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 67 has a very low ratio, I run 3500 rpm at 50 mph. What is a good ratio for highway use?

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
It would be a good idea to determine your current gear ratio before you make s decision. The most accurate way is to pull the cover and count the number of teeth on the ring and pinion gears, then divide them into each other. If you choose not to do that look up an online gear ratio calculator. Then enter your desired highway cruising rpm, that will get you where you want to be.

Steve R

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
without overdrive trans with big block = 3.08
with overdrive trans with big block = 3.42

probably want to stay with a tad higher numerically ratio with a small block that has less bottom end torque at low rpm.

lots of factors but this is just my seat of the pants non-scientific method..

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If you are doing say 3,500 at 50 you probably have like a 4.56 / 4.88 or something like that in there. Way too low. If it is an automatic I would also look at the converter because that may be slipping a lot too. I agree with the guy above the 3.08 if you are going to do a lot of highway driving. If you poop around town a lot but want some highway flexibility then maybe like a 3.42 or so. Based on todays highway/driving a 3.0 or lower is prefereable for being comfortable on the highway for long periods.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Transmission has a lot to do with it as well. I assume you have a Powerglide. When I got my '67 I think it had 3.08's with the PG in it and wouldn't get out of it's own way. I switched to a 200-4R and 4.11's which was a good combo. Now with the TKO 600 I think I'm going back to 3.73's or 3.55's as first gear is nearly useless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts