Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so on my 1970 300 HP 350 El Camino I have a small device on the side of my coil I am not 100% sure what it is. I thought the condenser for the points was inside the distributor, which incidentaly I recently got rid of and upgraded to electronic ignition, I love it! but any way, did chevy have a dual condenser? is this a ballast resistor of some sort? my old mopar had a resistor but it didnt look anything like this.
what I'm getting at is if I dont need it I want to get rid of it, but the instructions for the pertronics ignitor ignition I installed said if it has a ballast resistor to leave it or damage may occur. this would be costly and the car is my only daily driver right now(till the chevelle is done). it has only one wire and I believe it goes to the positive side. it runs awsome but I'm a big chicken about removing potentialy damaging items. I am the second owner and the original owner was a little old man so I doubt it was any hot rod parts installed. please help, and dont laugh to hard, I just cant afford to damage my toy. thanks, mike

·
Registered
984 Posts
It is the noise filter for your radio. Just remember a little tip: If it is really old and you want to keep it, replace it. That little condenser left me stranded when it failed and shorted the ignition to ground. It was the first (and only) time I got stuck in my Chevelle. I had to be towed home because I couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't start. When it failed the car was idling in traffic and it was just like the ignition was switched off and the car wouldn't start again.

------------------
65 Danube Blue MALIBU 4 door wagon, Disc brakes, F41 suspension,
GM Performance Parts 350/330hp crate engine with serpentine belt system, Sanderson headers, 700R4, factory air with Vintage Air conversion, factory am/fm stereo, tilt wheel.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It's just another condensor (really a capacitor) that was tacked on there to supress radio noise. Basically, you can add capacitors across devices that are switching, such as the ignition points or the mechanical regulator, to help remove the switching noise.

Peter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts