Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
They're cool, hopefuly better than the fluorescents ones I bought. The fluorescents don't have enough light.
So the LED models will interfere with radio and my wireless router?

·
Premium Member
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're cool, hopefuly better than the fluorescents ones I bought. The fluorescents don't have enough light.
Exactly. The electrical noise they generate is far less than fluorescent types.

Philips electrical design is quite good too.

Ron

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Don't see why you think the flourescent ones don't have enough light - I've been using them for years, and the bright white ones are brighter than heck. And, sometimes - heck is pretty bright.

·
Registered
15,907 Posts
Exactly. The electrical noise they generate is far less than fluorescent types.

Philips electrical design is quite good too.

Ron
Cool! I still use "rabbit ears" on my TV, and have to turn off all the CFL lights in the house if I want to watch CBS. :clonk:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Try a higher Kelvin number lamp. Fluorescent is extremely bright if you get up around 4500K or higher.

For the record, 2700K matches incandescent light.

LED will have much much less electrical noise from them.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I need to see what the Kelvin number is on mine. I was at Home Depot months ago and bought a case of the ones that look like a swirly ice ream cone.
I also heard that -Incandescent bulbs will soon be a thing of the past.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
By Federal Law - 2012, I think, is the last year for them.
Nope. Incandescents have not been banned. They have new efficiency requirements, which many seem to think will get rid of them. What it really is is that all general use incandescents with a lumen rating between 310 and 2600 lumens need to be 30% more efficient between 2012 and 2014. The start is 100 watt bulbs must meet this by Dec of 2012.

Notice the term general use. This means any specialty incandescent is not required to meet these standards. So rough service bulbs, 3 way, plant bulbs, colored...............are not subject to the new efficiency standards and therefore will still be on the shelves in all their inefficient glory.

Shorty after this was enacted I was at the National Electrical Contractors Association trade show, where GE, Philips, Sylvania..............were all present and they seemed to believe they can meet the first round of efficiency increases. The Federal bill is a 3 step process which likely by the end will phase out general use incandescents.
Jeff

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Nope. Incandescents have not been banned. They have new efficiency requirements, which many seem to think will get rid of them. What it really is is that all general use incandescents with a lumen rating between 310 and 2600 lumens need to be 30% more efficient between 2012 and 2014. The start is 100 watt bulbs must meet this by Dec of 2012.

Notice the term general use. This means any specialty incandescent is not required to meet these standards. So rough service bulbs, 3 way, plant bulbs, colored...............are not subject to the new efficiency standards and therefore will still be on the shelves in all their inefficient glory.

Shorty after this was enacted I was at the National Electrical Contractors Association trade show, where GE, Philips, Sylvania..............were all present and they seemed to believe they can meet the first round of efficiency increases. The Federal bill is a 3 step process which likely by the end will phase out general use incandescents.
Jeff
Great info, thanks Jeff! I think it will end up with whichever type costs the least...

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Don't see why you think the flourescent ones don't have enough light - I've been using them for years, and the bright white ones are brighter than heck. And, sometimes - heck is pretty bright.

No relevant data to add except this comment made me laugh.

thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts